Good WA lens for shooting architecture

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by SteveHo, Jul 23, 2008.

1. SteveHo

SteveHo

May 4, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I have found myself shooting architecture lately. I find that I use my 18-55 kit lens for convenience. What are some good (read not too expensive) WA lenses with low distortion?

2. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    The wide angle zoom with the reputation of having the least distortion is the Sigma EX 12-24 HSM.

3. Nikon 20mm f 2.8 - straight lines stay straight.

4. SteveHo

SteveHo

May 4, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Thank you for the replies...I am going to check into these further.

5. I know you had used the phrase "not too expensive" but still... the best glass to use for architectural photography are the ones with built in perspective control. Nikon does charge a hefty price for these though... the Nikkor 24mm/3.5 PCE is about $1800+.

6. Paulesko

Paulesko

Jul 23, 2008
    Spain
    20 mm will not be wide enough in dx mode. I´ve using lately a 12-24 sigma in a canon sistem (20d and 5d) and it´s a good lens, straight lines in dx and FF mode.

Very sharp if you close quite a bit, not so sharp fully open, I don´t see this as a problem if you want to take photos of architecture, because you will close something like f8-f11 in order to have proper DOF. Note that with this FF lens you will have really "crispy" corners in dx mode.

7. on DX i really enjoyed the nikon 12-24, but its the most expensive in its class.

1607340083_3a1e6350ea_o.jpg

8. I second what Joe said. I also like the Nikon 12-24mm because I can easily use this with a polarizing filter or ND/graduated ND filter when needed.

Tom