google and websites

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fks, May 7, 2005.

1. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    according to the statistics on my website, i'm getting a lot of hits from what appears to be a google search engine (images.google.com/imgres, images.google.fr/imgres, images.google.de/imgres, etc.). does anyone know what's going on?

thanks,

ricky

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Follow them back and you'll see that 'imgres' is Google's image search engine. These are people using Google's search facility and a keyword or words that lead them to one of your images. If they click on the image, and google loads your page with an image on it into their frame, you get an 'imgres' hit.

The more Google hits you get on a particular subject, the higher your google ranking. If you examine the url there will be some arguments at the end of it. Look for 'q=some%20text' or something, and that is what they were searching for.

3. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi chris-

thanks for the information. since i don't rename my files, they're all generic "dsc_" or "img_" files, i wonde what it is that's being googled.

ricky

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I remembered some web program that gets random images by looking for the standard file name parts like dsc_ etc. Maybe your images are popular with that game.

Does your hit analysis software give you the referring page? That might help track the hits down.

5. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi chris-

the games people play on the web :)

unfortunately i have to rely on my provider's software to give me my statistics, and all it says is "images.google.com/imgres" with variations on google.com (google.it, google.sa, etc.).

if i google "ottosphotos" in the images section, there are 3,620 images there. it looks like google's got links to all my photos for some reason.

thanks,

ricky