Google executive portraits

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by little big man, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Gelled strobes/flash to get the color?

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. Each backdrop is a colored sheet of seamless?

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. Green-screened, and then color added in PS?

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
  4. Other?

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. Somebody voted 'other' - care to elaborate?

2. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Well it sure tells you how times have changed. Those are really relaxed images - not your father's corporate images.

3. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

I think they have to be green-screened and then worked on in PS. Then again, I may be wrong!

4. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Looks like seemless

5. Looks like they were done with Photoshop.

6. rbellphoto

rbellphoto

Jun 8, 2006
    SoCal
    Totally agree. There is a wide variety of lighting on the faces, but the backgrounds, aside from colors, is consistent. I'd guess that each person provided their own pic and then they were photoshopped to (more or less) match. BTW, I also voted "other".

7. I haven't a clue!!! But I do agree with Sen, relaxed and friendly! The Bios are a riot-Stanford and being of Indian descent/origin is a prerequisite of being a titled Google exec! (why not me?---my dad is from India!!)

And how about this guy:
    Most recently, Vic was General Manager of Microsoft's developer outreach efforts worldwide, including evangelism and strategy for products like Windows Vista, Visual Studio, Microsoft Office, Microsoft CRM, and Windows Mobile.

EVANGELISM??????????????????? (Does that make Bill gates god?)

8. rbellphoto

rbellphoto

Jun 8, 2006
    SoCal
    Only in his own mind. Or, maybe MS knows that it will take an act of God to convince the general public to have confidence in Vista.

9. The used a pretty high ratio between the key and fill lighting, and switched from short to broad lighting based on the shape of each subject's face. Based on the lighting gradients on the background, I'd guess they used a colored gelled flash as a background light.

Did you notice that the Executive Director of Google.org is Dr. Larry Brilliant? With a name like that, how could he miss being a success.

10. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Photoshop gradients.

11. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I'll let you know next week as I'm flying up in the Gulfstream to have mine done while I meet with Sergey to go over a few things.

:biggrin:

12. I thought a few of them were so spot on that they had to be gradients in PS....a couple of others didn't have the same look, so maybe they're a mix.

Thanks Patrick! I take it Cafe donations are on the upswing?? :biggrin:

13. To me it seems readily apparent that these are gelled flash backgounds. You can see the fall off of light depending on where the flash was placed. Course I have been wrong before. It would certainly be easiest to do it this way and would not require any special post processing.

14. rbellphoto

rbellphoto

Jun 8, 2006
    SoCal
    The assumption here is that all these photos were taken at the same time. They weren't. The Google staff has seen multiple changes in the last 4-5 years and images on this page have been added/deleted as necessary. As a result, it's unlikely that the image backgrounds could be this consistent without some digital trickery.

15. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    A gelled flash for the background would be easiest to do. The tonality looks very similar to some horsing around that I did last year:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No gradient in my pictures - but that's what I was aiming for. It would be fairly easy to get a gradient in there as well.

16. Now we're talking, Bart - someone who has put rubber to the road! How many gelled sources are we looking at here?

Sean

17. "Green-screened, and then color added in PS?" - well I'm not sure they were green screened, certainly some look like they were cut out and photoshopped backgrounds

18. Here's some more gelled backlight samples.

original.gif

19. rbellphoto

rbellphoto

Jun 8, 2006
    SoCal
    Here's some Photoshop Gradients...

original.gif