GOOOOO DISCOVERY......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gale, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    What a day....

Tough lighiting conditions.. This is dramitic...

2. Hey Gale,

I just logged on to see if you posted some pics of the shuttle. Very cool. I got to see the launch right before I went to work (ON TV). Of course, I was a little late but, no big deal. Nice Pic. Is that with the 80-400? I like how on the rockets create a reflection on the water. Was it loud? Seems like it would be eventhough you are pretty far away?

3. Thanks for the image Gale. You are right it is pretty dramatic and I can only imagine what it must have been like to have been there.

4. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

That's a terrific shot of the event...... a great memento.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank You All,

This is a rough edit. I have to redo it.

Approx 12 miles across the river. It was loud and excitig.

Long day. I am very tired. :))

6. Great shot Gale! Must be exciting to have events like this in front of your door step.
    Would be nice to have this in combination with an audio recording.
    Cheers

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats on a very sweet image, Gale. There aren't many folks that have the opportunity to witness a shuttle launch, let alone capture one. Thanks for posting your image for us all to see.

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    HI ALL

wish I had been closer....Extreme haze at horizon. Sun at 10:30 in the morning.

Thanks all for the nice comments.

Paul V shaped light you see could be from Light on shuttle in combination with the red reflection off the shuttle. My vantage point was not as good as other places..

If it had been in afternoon shot or I could have gotten to the Nasa causeway (no pass) a different direction it would have been better.

However I had to wait till it got up higher to pick up the blue in sky. Just looking straight across, there was no blue, sky was bright and greyish, I was able to pick alot up of the red from the fire from the engines.

I do have more images where it shows the sly higher and blue.

Where I was, it also disappared into a huge cloud, then came out the other side. Experienced shutter lag, I said at that moment, I need a D2H....

I will get some more up later, right now I am almost an hour late to work....

See ya all later. I am still very tired.

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    What an incredibly beautiful shot Gale. You should be thrilled. What an experience!! :wink:

11. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    nice indeed. I know at least a couple folks up here in N alabama that may be talked into going to the next one.

Greg

12. Wonderful shot Gale! It must have been an incredible thrill to witness the takeoff. Thanks for sharing whatever you can from that experience of a lifetime.

D2H? I'd say you need to go straight to the D2x!! :) Just pick your best shuttle photo, then find about 2500 people to buy them at $2 each... the camera will be yours in no time!

13. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Great shot, Gale!

There is another shot that was posted on Drudge Report that is really cool also. Why am I never at the right place at the right time with the right lens and the right frame of mind?

[​IMG]

14. Congrats I imagien it was incredible for sure

15. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow Gale!!!! Great image - don't you just LOVE that sound!

I've seen nearly every liftoff, but none in person since the redstone days. These must be terrific, especially since you're right there, relatively speaking. They never fail to excite me!

As for the V of light preceeding the shuttle, I believe that it's ghosting inside you lens, but I'd go with the headlights idea. ;)

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Matt Drudge is famous for faking the news, so I'd take this shot with a grain or two of NaCl. I'll bet the bird is cloned in at the very least.

17. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    WOW, Gale! What an experience to see that dramatic liftoff! Thanks for posting such a marvelous shot so the rest of us can imagine what it was like to be there in person!

18. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Duh. I bet you're right.

19. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Nice picture, Gale! Was looking forward to seeing this since the last one was rescheduled. It was quite dramatic on GMA and just being there in person, it must have been spectacular.