1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Gordon's 12 Month Project 2018 - September Photos Up 27 Sept

Discussion in '12 Month Projects' started by Gordo, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Arizona
    2018 is a year of change. Have a house to finish clearing out and get sold, a planned move to Arizona, and getting set up there. So, no theme for this year (unless I get moved and settled soon, then I'll pick one for the remainder of the year). I'll take images when and where I can get them, travel images when possible. And as always, constructive commentary on my photos is welcome.

2. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    Thanks for being part of this group this year. It will be tough with the move but anything you do will be great. I look forward to seeing Scooby this year.

3. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Arizona
    January images. Not much time for photos so far, had to take a bit of a break mid-month to rest my back. These were taken as a group of shots during the CS running at that time. Picked up a Fuji X100F in December. The more I use it, the more I am liking the ACROS film sim SOOC jpegs for available low-light shooting. The three of these were taken with light through a frosted window (1) and reflected light from a door in the next room (2 & 3). Other than a 1/3 ev boost, straitening, crop and resize - SOOC.

original.
    X100F    ---    23mm    f/2.8    1/58s    ISO 1600

original.
    X100F    ---    23mm    f/2.0    1/20s    ISO 1600

original.
    X100F    ---    23mm    f/2.8    1/10s    ISO 1600

Thanks for looking, and as always, constructive commentary is appreciated.

4. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    Nice Gordon. The Fuji is working great and it is nice to see Scooby. I keep thinking about a Fuji or similar but I am not ready to make the move. I really like my DSLRs.

5. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Shaving the dog? ;) :sneaky: :whistle: 

Great pictures, Gordon. I like the light in the shaving equipment a lot.

Kind regards
    Klaus

6. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Arizona
    Sorry for the delay in response Klaus - oh no, Scooby would likely eat my face if I tried to give him a shave. :hurting: 

Thanks! :) 

7. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Arizona
    February

No excuses, I'm busy, here's some grab shots for the month.

Scooby lounging in the early evening light. X100F, SOOC jpeg ACROS film sim, slight crop and resize for web.
    original.
    X100F    ---    23mm    f/2.8    1/550s    ISO 200

M O O N... in a mood. K-1, DA*300/4 + 1.4xTC, processed, cropped and resized to taste.
    original.

original.

As always, thanks for taking the time to view, and constructive commentary is appreciated.

8. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Arizona
    Oops - I missed your reply also. Sorry about that.

I'm really liking the X100F. It is small enough I can't use it for extended shooting without hand pain, but it's great for a snapshot camera and to have when you aren't planning photos. I still prefer DSLRs, but Nikon lost me when they went to the small viewfinder eyepoints, and I was already gone when the D750 was released. Loving the K-1. Will be trying the X-H1 soon, and may have to make a decision on whether or not to keep the Pentax or go all Fuji. I have been getting rid of gear for years now, and haven't this little in decades. It's a bit odd, and liberating.

9. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    Nice series Gordon. Scooby is great and I really like the moon images. Well done. You are busy so please do not worry.

10. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    I keep thinking about a Fuji but in many ways my iPhone fills that need so it is hard to justify. I hear you about liberating. There is a lot to say for that. I will probably keep shooting my Nikon gear until I have problems using it because of my limitations.

11. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Arizona
    Posting a bit early this month. On a really big push right now to try and get the house listed by the end of the month and I have another thousand things to get done. I'm on a tear to reduce as much clutter out of my life as possible while still being able to enjoy life a little bit. Everything is being viewed with a critical eye, including hobby items.

Fuji has been a love/ hate thing for me over the years. Love the camera designs and Kaizen philosophy. But the cameras are too small for me to use for extended lengths of time - I get increasing amounts of hand pain followed by cramping/ locking of fingers. I've tried the X100, X-Pro1, X-T1, and X-E2S. I liked the X100, but the focus was so bad I let it go. I did not gel well with the X-Pro1 and X-E2S for some reason. I really liked the X-T1, but it was a snapshot camera because of the small size, so it was let go as well.

I bought an X100F a few months ago. The issues I had with the original are gone. Still small enough it is a snapshot camera, but that's what I bought it for - small camera I can have with me when photos aren't planned. I love it. Started drawing down camera gear.

Fast forward to February, and Fuji officially announces the X-H1. A slightly larger body with a finger grip. I placed a preorder for the kit with the battery grip and two additional batteries, and the 16-55/2.8 WR lens. They arrived the 8th of this month. So far, it has been performing wonderfully, and the additional size and grip space feels so much better in my hand. Not as good as the K-1, but good. Time will tell if I can use it for an all day event like an airshow.

So, my kit is set for now. I'll be adding the 1.4xTC, 50-140/2.8 WR, and the 100-400 WR to my Fuji gear over the next 6 months or so as I get rid of more hobby stuff. Fate of my Pentax gear to be determined based on how I interact with the X-H1 over the space of the next 6 to 12 months.

Mostly nothing for this month. A couple of gear shots. And a shot of Scooby. Once this move gets done, I hope to be in an area with more photogenic scenery, with some travel pics thrown in along the way.

X-H1 with 16-55/2.8
    original.
    X100F    ---    23mm    f/4.0    1/60s    ISO 800

Current Kit - (L to R) Fuji X100F; Pentax DA*200/2.8, FA Ltd 31/1.8, K-1 with FA Ltd 43/1.9, FA Ltd 77/1.8; Fuji X-H1 with 16-55/2.8 WR.
    original.
    X-E2S    XF50mmF2 R WR    50mm    f/8.0    1/3s    ISO 6400

Scooby. X-H1, 16-55, ACROS film sim.
    original.
    X-H1    XF16-55mmF2.8 R LM WR    55mm    f/2.8    1/240s    ISO 200

As always, thanks for taking the time to view. Any constructive commentary is appreciated.

12. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    It is a good series. Sorry for the overload this month but it will be good to have things settled so you can move on. The new Fuji sounds interesting. I have thought about them but it would be a ways off if I decide to go that way. Good luck with the sell and move.

13. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Arizona
    Thanks Larry. The house is listed. Still have about 1000 things that need to be done, then repeat looking for housing on the other end.

14. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    Great news. Let me know when you head this way. It would be great to meetup.

15. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Arizona
    Looking forward to it.

16. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Arizona
    Changes...

original.
    X100F    ---    23mm    f/2.8    1/140s    ISO 200

original.
    X100F    ---    23mm    f/5.6    1/10s    ISO 1600

original.
    X100F    ---    23mm    f/5.6    1/27s    ISO 1600

All SOOC jpeg, X100F, Classic Chrome with in-camera custom settings (edit - first image was cropped).

As always, thanks for viewing, and constructive commentary is always welcome.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  17. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    Nice Gordon. It looks like things are getting close. Time for a new adventure and Scooby looks like he knows it is coming.

18. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Arizona
    Thanks. Closing has been delayed a few days, so more time in a hotel on this end. Yay. Scooby is a mess.

19. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Arizona
    Well, move is still in progress. Had to get an "affordable" apartment due to length of time to purchase weighed against cost of several months worth of hotel bills. Have to get a storage room emptied, and set up delivery of the PODs. Will start the hunt for work once all of my household stuff in in one spot, and will make a decision on housing in about another 3 - 4 months.

With everything going on, haven't had too much time for photos. Grabbed a few here and there.

M O O N. Fuji X-H1 + 100-400.
    original.

Scooby, lounging in his new digs. Fuji X100F.
    original.
    X100F    ---    23mm    f/2.8    1/20s    ISO 1600

Dove, nesting just outside my patio door. Fuji X-E2S + Voigtlander 50/3.5 Heliar Vintage Line, heavy crop.
    original.

As always, thanks for taking the time to view. Any constructive commentary is appreciated.

20. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    Progress Gordon. Nice images for a busy month. Good lunch on getting the Pids unloaded and the apartment setup.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.