Critique Gordon's 52 Week Project 2020 - Week 40

That's encouraging news about Pentax! Yes, it does sound as though they plan to be around for a lot longer.....

I've never handled a Fuji camera, but I have indeed heard good things about them and the various lenses, and have seen some outstanding images coming out of them.

Pentax is an odd duck. They don't really do marketing, especially here in the US, and they don't have much of a presence in big box/ brick & mortar stores. Not great for trying to build a larger customer base.

Week 23

Another low-energy week. Shot for a different one-day challenge, doing some post-processing on previously scanned images for the family photo archive project. X-H1 + Voigtlander Color-Skopar 21mm f/3.5 ASPH.

View attachment 1662831

That half-moon reminds me of cookies my grandmother used to make in that shape.....and also of sitting out on my grandparents’ screened porch in the summer evenings begging for “just one more moon” when being reminded that it was bedtime.

For Week 23, what a cool shot, capturing an image of yourself actually working on post-processing/editing images! I like this a lot.......

That half-moon reminds me of cookies my grandmother used to make in that shape.....and also of sitting out on my grandparents’ screened porch in the summer evenings begging for “just one more moon” when being reminded that it was bedtime.

For Week 23, what a cool shot, capturing an image of yourself actually working on post-processing/editing images! I like this a lot.......

Simpler times. Thanks Connie.

Well Gordon,
your wonderful moon shot gave me an idea...
Let's see what to do.

Kind regards
Klaus

Thanks Klaus - I have to get caught up, will have to see what you came up with.

24 & 25, another couple of low-energy weeks, doc appointments, tests, etc... Have more testing and appointments for the next two weeks, hopefully things will be returning to "better".

24 - Now there are three cats roaming around. One stray, one that the owners let roam, one that I'm not sure if stray or just a roamer. Birds are very skittish, and not in the tree or at the feeder as much.

Juvenile White-winged Dove keeping an eye on me as I try to grab a shot. K-1, DA*300...
View attachment 1663842

Road Runner chasing insects after the sprinklers stopped. K-1, DA*300, very heavy crop...
View attachment 1663843

25 - not much outside stuff this week, so tabletop again. Brass pen starting to develop a patina. White dots on the journal cover are blemishes in the finish, not dust. Z6, 50/1.8S...
View attachment 1663844

I hope your health situation improves soon, Gordon! Presumably the additional testing and such will help pinpoint a diagnosis so that then treatment which will really help you can be started.... I can only imagine how frustrating this has all been for you!

Of these photos, the Roadrunner really has captured my attention, since these are birds we don't see around the Eastern US. I remember there is some cartoon featuring a roadrunner, and for me for years that was all I knew about them..... Seeing the real-life bird makes a big difference! That long tail in particular really distinguishes him, and from what I understand they really do run pretty fast, which would be fun to see!

I hope your health situation improves soon, Gordon! Presumably the additional testing and such will help pinpoint a diagnosis so that then treatment which will really help you can be started.... I can only imagine how frustrating this has all been for you!

Of these photos, the Roadrunner really has captured my attention, since these are birds we don't see around the Eastern US. I remember there is some cartoon featuring a roadrunner, and for me for years that was all I knew about them..... Seeing the real-life bird makes a big difference! That long tail in particular really distinguishes him, and from what I understand they really do run pretty fast, which would be fun to see!

Thanks Connie. I'll be trying to get some better shots of a road runner - they are around the apartments. Saw a good sized on a couple of days ago, stopped and gave me the eye when I talked to it. Had a nice crest it displayed a couple of times. Gone before I could get the camera for a shot.

A few opportunities presented themselves this last week. Doves in the tree more frequently, and the parking lot being repaved.

White-winged Dove strolling through the foliage. X-H1 + 100-400, slight crop.
View attachment 1664717

Guy on the paint scooter moving a stencil between spots. Funky look to the image due to the shot being taken through the water from the active sprinklers. Also X-H1 +100-400, slight crop.
View attachment 1664718

White-winged Dove on the pole for the hummingbird feeder. Out of view about 4 feet below was one of the stray cats trying to decide if it was worth the risk to try and jump for the bird and fall about 14 feet to the ground. Dove seemed to be taunting the cat, and wasn't in any hurry to leave. K-1 + DA*300.
View attachment 1664719

Last appointment for a little while was this afternoon, so I'll have time to catch up on everyone's threads and maybe participate in the CS.

Real Name
Morten
uhh a lot of catching up here. w22-26

w22: You really nails these moon shots. Cool shot of the watch too
w23: Interesting project... nice photo on the screen
w24: Excellent bird catches (y)
w25: Nice tabletop work

"I am the Dove man
I am the walrus"

That came instantly to mind! :)
That last shot of the dove taunting the cat is so cool! The expression on the face, in the eye.....the position of the wings....unmistakable that this is what is going on!
Beautiful eye in your # 3!
uhh a lot of catching up here. w22-26

w22: You really nails these moon shots. Cool shot of the watch too
w23: Interesting project... nice photo on the screen
w24: Excellent bird catches (y)
w25: Nice tabletop work

Thanks all.

Been out of pocket for a while, haven't been posting much at all (been away from some forums completely), and have not been doing much with photos. Between deaths in the family, deaths of old friends, health problems of family and myself, I've taken a bit of time to do some introspection. A quasi-digital walk-about of sorts to help clear my head, since travel is still more difficult than it should be.

Anywhos, I'm trying to re-focus my life a bit. I've been making a lot of difficult decisions regarding "stuff" and its disposition, and will be going through a major down-sizing of my life. A large portion of my photo gear has been sold, and some more will go by the time I am done. Still going to be doing photos, but going to try and focus on the things I like most and tailor my gear to those things going forward.

I've missed so much of this project now I doubt I'll continue, just close it and think about 2021. I've also missed reviewing and commenting on everyone's threads, and for that I am sorry. I appreciate the views and commentary on the thread.

See you all around the Cafe.

Latest threads

Top Bottom