Critique Gordon's 52 Week Project 2020 - Week 40

Between not feeling well and what I thought was my computer dying (turned out to be a failing battery backup), I haven't posted much or even picked up a camera more than a couple times the last week plus. I'll be catching up on things this week.

M O O N

Handheld with the X-H1 + 100-400, I think this was about 30% illumination. Slightly less than 100% crop.
View attachment 1661149

Not much happened last week. Waiting around for some test equipment that never showed up, Doc re-ordered so it should arrive this week. Then run a test for the Doc and review when I see him next month. Results will determine further testing, or med changes (again), or into surgical phase. So I'm a little pre-occupied and might be a bit behind on posting and responses.

B I R D S

Both shots taken with the K-1. First with the DA*200/2.8, second with the DA*300/4, both cropped and resized for web. Not sure what the little bird is in the first shot, very flitty and difficult to catch a focused image. (edit - maybe a Black-capped Gnatcatcher?) Looks like a White-winged Dove pair might move into the existing nest in the tree off the balcony. A pair used it in 2018, last year it was used by a pair of Mourning Doves. The tree has continued to grow, and it will be difficult to get clean shots of the nest this year.

View attachment 1661641

View attachment 1661642

Last edited:
Reactions: BLX
Hang in there, Gordon, as you and your doctor try to sort out your health situation and figure out what is the best next step for you.... I am sure that this is very frustrating for you, especially if there are a lot of days when you just don't feel well and can't do much of anything.

That bird in the first photo is a mystery to me, too -- you were lucky to be able to snag a photo of him (or her)! In the second shot, your little dove looks so sweet sitting there on the nest.....

Hang in there, Gordon, as you and your doctor try to sort out your health situation and figure out what is the best next step for you.... I am sure that this is very frustrating for you, especially if there are a lot of days when you just don't feel well and can't do much of anything.

That bird in the first photo is a mystery to me, too -- you were lucky to be able to snag a photo of him (or her)! In the second shot, your little dove looks so sweet sitting there on the nest.....

Thanks Connie. It's been dragging out for 19 months now. Bad enough to impact life and limit activity, good days, not-so-good days, not quite bad enough yet for a surgical fix. It's like living and constantly waiting for that other shoe to drop and hit the floor. It wears you down. Anywhos, just a vent. It almost feels like whining, things could always be worse. Many others out there are in a worse situation than I.

Hadn't seen that grey bird before. A handful of them were quickly flitting around the tree chasing the bugs. A bunch of images with grey blurs and this one in focus.

Yes, for too many of us, it's easy enough to feel that we should dismiss one's own issues by saying that for someone else, things are worse, etc., etc., but the reality is that right now YOU are living with your particular situation and, yes, it is darned uncomfortable and on a daily basis, wearing on you, not to mention the further complication of the unpredictability of it all as well. You're not whining, Gordon; you're just expressing some understandable frustration! Hang in there.....

The tail on that grey bird is rather distinctive; I wonder if it is a way to get a handle on the identity? I don't have a book about birds but sometimes I've gone into Google and typed what identifying characteristics I had noticed about a bird, a flower, an animal, whatever, and have gotten some hits back with options which have helped me to rule out or to think, "yeah, maybe that's it!" when seeing a photo or description.....

Yes, for too many of us, it's easy enough to feel that we should dismiss one's own issues by saying that for someone else, things are worse, etc., etc., but the reality is that right now YOU are living with your particular situation and, yes, it is darned uncomfortable and on a daily basis, wearing on you, not to mention the further complication of the unpredictability of it all as well. You're not whining, Gordon; you're just expressing some understandable frustration! Hang in there.....

The tail on that grey bird is rather distinctive; I wonder if it is a way to get a handle on the identity? I don't have a book about birds but sometimes I've gone into Google and typed what identifying characteristics I had noticed about a bird, a flower, an animal, whatever, and have gotten some hits back with options which have helped me to rule out or to think, "yeah, maybe that's it!" when seeing a photo or description.....

Definitely frustrated. It'll lessen a bit in a day or two.

As for the bird, I'm looking at some online resources as I get bored. I'll probably figure it out within another day or three. :)

Updated week 20 - first bird looks like it might be a Black-capped Gnatcatcher. Not 100% sure.

Stray cats have pretty much run off the birds at this point. Not sure if I'll get any more bird photos until either the cats are handled or I am able to roam with a camera again. Not much in the way of photos for the week, plan on doing better this week.

Gear stuffs. I'm currently waiting more info on the new Pentax body and what improvements they make with the OVF and AF system. If it is positive, my main kit will be the Pentax, with Fuji for smaller and lighter, travel and fun stuff. If the new Pentax doesn't have what I need, Fuji or Nikon will be my main kit.

I've been building up a small selection of m-mount glass for the Fuji. I plan on using them on the X-H1, the IBIS works and adds capability for my unsteadiness. I still need a couple of lens hoods and the Fuji m-mount adapter.

View attachment 1662180

Reactions: BLX
That Voightlander lens is a thing of beauty, regardless of the images it produces! I have heard good things about the Fuji system; I somehow got the idea that Pentax isn’t doing so well these days, so maybe it’s not a good idea to invest too heavily in it?

Thanks Connie. Cosina has been on a roll with their Voigtlander lenses. Build quality is tops, as is the feel in hand. Optics should be good as well.

Fuji has some good gear if it is what you are looking for. But, it is small enough some of us have issues using some of their cameras due to being too small. I find their OOC jpgs easier to adjust in-camera than the other brands I've used, and can easily setup the looks I want. Great for fun use and travel IMHO.

Pentax... "reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated" seems appropriate. Pentax's impending doom has been predicted for quite a few years now, and there seems to be a lot of people that would be happy for them to go under. But they still keep on producing lenses and cameras, just at a slower pace than other manufacturers. New flagship APS-C is in final development and should be released this year, along with an updated 16-50 for APS-C possibly this year but most likely first part of 2021. New full-frame 21mm Limited in development for 2021 as well. They just officially announced the new D-FA* 85/1.4 today, and it is a beast of a lens. Honestly, I'm not any more worried than I would be buying Olympus, Fuji, or Nikon.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that shot of your Fuji—sharp and exquisitely exposed.

Thank you Nick.

Latest threads

Top Bottom