Critique Gordon's 52 Week Project 2020 - Weeks 26

I'll be doing a 12-month for 2020 instead of the weekly. The 2019 weekly was difficult to complete, and I'm not sure what 2020 has in store. Edit - realized the only difference was posting frequency, so this is now a 52-week.

Goal is to use only the Z system, one image a week. No theme, I'll be shooting what I find available or have the time to shoot. Initially it will be just with the 50/1.8S, but I hope to be able to add another lens or two as I make decisions on gear consolidation. Edit - no gear restriction, I have some difficult decisions to make this year on gear, so I'll be using all of it to help with the process.

As always, I am open to constructive critique/ commentary. I'm a hobbyist, and am constantly trying to improve.

Thanks for taking the time to view.

Last edited:
Glad you decided to go with the 52 weeks, Gordon! Yes, I am telling myself that this offers flexibility and we aren't restricted to a particular number of images during the week, just so we post at least one image each week..... That can't be that hard, can it? After all, most of us do shoot at least once a week anyway..... As long as life and various other commitments and responsibilities don't get in the way!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Glad you decided to go with the 52 weeks, Gordon! Yes, I am telling myself that this offers flexibility and we aren't restricted to a particular number of images during the week, just so we post at least one image each week..... That can't be that hard, can it? After all, most of us do shoot at least once a week anyway..... As long as life and various other commitments and responsibilities don't get in the way!
Thanks Connie. Easy, difficult... whatever life decides it wants to toss at us each day. :)

You were the first one in, the one who got me to commit. :smug: :) :happy:
Who, me? :whistle:

Yep, sometimes life can be annoying, trying to throw roadblocks in our way but we can persevere.... Some days it will be easier than others to find a subject, shoot a subject and have it be pleasing when later viewed in the computer, etc., than other days. I fully expect that my thread will at times include several images and at other times maybe just one or two, depending upon how my week, my life and my shooting has gone during that time period.....

Was just joking around a bit Nick - should have put a j/k in there. It's all good. :)

You and the others have shamed me into participating. Thanks Gordo, I am looking forward to learning from everyone who participates.
Thanks Bill - looking forward to following and learning from yours as well.

One of the things I'll be working on this year is attempting to improve product-type photos, and possibly self-portraits (or portraits if I can find a willing model). Picked up a pair of Solix light kits and a couple stands and modifiers on sale. So... with one shot per week I'm going to guess a good portion of the years photos will be those types. I will try to ensure more than half of this year's images are of something else.

My X100F. Love this little camera. Taken with the Z6 + 50/1.8S, one light + reflectors set-up. Self-critique - need to do much better with cleaning prior to shooting, need to work more on reflection control, probably would be better if I had backed away and lowered the camera to reduce the angle and I'll likely shoot this again if I can find appropriate sweep material.
original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Real Name
Bill Mellen

One of the things I'll be working on this year is attempting to improve product-type photos, and possibly self-portraits (or portraits if I can find a willing model). Picked up a pair of Solix light kits and a couple stands and modifiers on sale. So... with one shot per week I'm going to guess a good portion of the years photos will be those types. I will try to ensure more than half of this year's images are of something else.

My X100F. Love this little camera. Taken with the Z6 + 50/1.8S, one light + reflectors set-up. Self-critique - need to do much better with cleaning prior to shooting, need to work more on reflection control, probably would be better if I had backed a way and lowered the camera to reduce the angle and I'll likely shoot this again if I can find appropriate sweep material.
View attachment 1652626
I have a silver X100F that will be called in to duty for this year’s project. One of my all time favorite cameras! I am addicted to the X100 series. Though I am not sure what will happen when the X100V ships this year.

I have a silver X100F that will be called in to duty for this year’s project. One of my all time favorite cameras! I am addicted to the X100 series. Though I am not sure what will happen when the X100V ships this year.
I really hope they don't mess with the overall design, other than maybe improve the OVF/ EVF for specs wearers. IBIS and weather resistance would be nice. Rumors have Fuji improving the lens for higher res sensors. Unfortunately, based on the previous 6 or 7 cameras released, I have a feeling Fuji is going to dump the D-Pad at a minimum. Since I use the programmable buttons for functions to reduce menu-diving, that's going to be a problem for me.

Nice "baby picture" of your Fuji. Only thing I can add to your self critique (though you alluded to it) would be to use some continuous paper or other single color backdrop.
Or perhaps, and in keeping with the Arizona location, a big cowhide!
Thanks guys - I think I'll stick paper poster-board for now. :D

Another product shot. This will not be the norm unless health dictates, I wanted to try and improve the shot a bit.

White poster-board for a sweep, light above and slightly behind, whits FCB on each side, another sheet pr white poster-board just below the Z6 and lens to bounce back a little light on the front of the camera. There are a few small spots of dust on the camera, the markings on the leather half-case are wear marks it is starting to acquire.

Self-critique. I need a bit more light to balance things a bit better but am working with limited space for now and don't have room to set up another light (yet); the camera strap is still stiff enough it wants to do its own thing so I'll try a small binder clip or something next time to try and control it better; if I raise the Z6 a bit more the text on top of the X100F would be legible; and next time I'll remove the hood and adapter ring for the shot so the front of the lens is presented better.

Taken with the Z6 + 50/1.8S, 1/40s, f/8, iso200, cropped down to 3000x2000 then resized for web.
original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Product shots and still life images can be tricky when it comes to the lighting! Sometimes one can take advantage of natural light if there is a table or surface close enough to a large window but at other times that doesn't work well and there is a greater need to have more control over the light. Space is an issue, too, trying to have room enough to set everything up to satisfaction and then still having room to maneuver oneself and the camera with which one is shooting. This looks very good to me -- no exif info available for us, though, and that is always useful -- and as for minor dust spots and such, I find that a quick use of the "erase" or "healing" tool takes care of that in a jiffy. I like the looks of that leather half-case; it suits the overall "retro" look of the camera itself. Nicely done!

Soft yet sharp, is how I'd characterize the lighting. I do prefer the first shot--both light and perspective, but the 2nd one is a more traditional camera shot. It is very helpful to see how lighting can change things.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom