Critique Gordo's 52 Week Project - 2019 - Week 52

Well, I think I'm going to try a weekly this year. Life got in the way of the last attempt, hopefully this year goes better.

Goal is to use the X100F, and post one image per week. I want to get exposure and comp as correct as possible at the time of capture, and use the year to fine tune in-camera settings in order to produce the best-looking SOOC jpegs I can. I really like Fuji's implementation of the Acros film sim, so most of my shots will most likely be monochrome. Since Scooby tends to be my default subject, I want to limit use of his pup portraits to once a month.

I've marked the thread for critique. I am still trying to improve, especially composition. Constructive commentary is not necessary, but will be appreciated.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Awww...what a cutie. He didn't even know you were there!

Glad you've joined the 52 Week, Gordo. You know I'm looking forward to your images!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Hey Gordo, about your composition subject request, I would say or suggest a square crop, get rid of Scooby’s bum a little bit. I am looking forward to the one a month photos of him if you take one!

Hey Gordo, about your composition subject request, I would say or suggest a square crop, get rid of Scooby’s bum a little bit. I am looking forward to the one a month photos of him if you take one!

Thanks Wade - I'll give it a shot, and post it as an edit to the original post.

Week 2

We've had snow a few days over the last two weeks. All melted quickly, except up in the mountains. Couldn't do SOOC on this, DR was too high and I either blew highlights or had to process and bring up some shadows, cropped to 16:9. And with the colors this morning, I felt it looked better than the monochrome. I can post the monochrome if anyone wants to see it.

View attachment 1630127

Lyndee's request, here's the monochrome.
View attachment 1630172

Last edited:
Week 3

As part of my life downsizing, camera gear is on the chopping block. Regarding my Pentax gear, these four lenses will be kept, along with my K-1. Left to right are the FA 43/1.9 Ltd, FA 31/1.8 Ltd, FA 77/1.8 Ltd, and the DA* 200/2.8 at the rear. Most of my photo stuff is still in boxes in storage, this was attempted with poster board, black and white FCB for light blocking and reflection, and available light. Definitely not straight out of camera, it needed work. Focus is a bit weird, there seems to be some softness around the front of the second row of lenses, but on the original image you can see the lenses get sharper again deeper into the image. Diffraction issues maybe? Shot at f/11, close focus.
View attachment 1630652

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Fine looking lenses there, Gordo and I really like how you've arranged them. I'm glad you're keeping these; I hear they're excellent.

Week 4

Simple dinner. Cajun-spiced turkey cubed and sauteed in butter with diced onion and green pepper then mixed with rice, a serving each of beets and green beans. Handheld, available light, no crop.
View attachment 1631121

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Delicious looking and the turkey with rice sounds more exotic than simple! I haven't had beets since I was a kid and I'm glad to know they're still being enjoyed even though I don't care for them. I also like how this is lit, and beyond that, I'm in love with the butcher block. Is that your table? The variations of color in the wood is fabulous...

Latest threads

Top Bottom