1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Gori, Georgia - The birthplace fo Stalin

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by Jimbojack, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Thank you all for your comments on my previous posts :smile:

The Georgian city of Gori is synonymous with one man, Iosef Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili, better known as Joseph Stalin. I won't go into too much detail about the man here, there are plenty of web pages where you can read about him (wikipedia for example).

What is interesting is that the house in which he was born was enshrined within a protective building right outside of a museum that was built and dedicated to him. While other ex-communist and ex-Soviet countries quickly destroyed all visible remnants of communism (such as Lenin and Stalin statues, hammer and sickle decorations on buildings/bridges/buildings) and renamed all squares and streets that had soviet names, Gori proudly kept everything that was named after Stalin.

Main street in Gori, the Stalinis gamziri (Stalin Avenue)

Georgia_Gori_001.

Soviet military monument

Georgia_Gori_002.

Stalin's armor plated rail car, weighing in at a little over 83 tons. Stalin became increasingly paranoid, convinced that people were trying to kill him, he had a armor plated railway car constructed. He refused to travel by airplane, only trusting this rail car for protection. It was used for all of his trips for 12 years (including the trip for the July 1945 Potsdam conference).

Georgia_Gori_006.

Georgia_Gori_012.

Inside of the rail car, Stalin's samovar, desk and bed.

Georgia_Gori_007.

Georgia_Gori_008.

Georgia_Gori_009.

The very first air conditioning unit in the Soviet Union, custom made for Stalin.

Georgia_Gori_011.

Statue of Stalin in front of the house where he grew up

Georgia_Gori_013.

Entrance to the museum
    Interestingly, some of the most important people in Stalin's life (Khrushchev, Trotsky and Stalin's daughter Svetlana, who defected to the U.S. in 1966) are completely absent from the museum.

Georgia_Gori_014.

Lady working in the gift shop, wearing a very nostalgic uniform

Georgia_Gori_015.

What would a gift shop be without tacky souvenirs for sale? I have to admit to indulging a bit myself, I bought a book called "Poetries by J.B. Stalin". That's right, early in his life Stalin fancied himself a poet. Here is an example:

To T.R. Eristavt

When driven to tears by the suffering peasants,
    you, bard, devoted to the people of Georgia,
    bemoaned their faith and justice demanded,
    addressing the heaven above.

Moved by the passion for a prosperous future of our nation,
    you sounded like a delightful lute, blessed by the lord.

Singing the praise of your country,
    with glorious adoration
    and the strings of your heart
    resounded with joy...

But then some Georgians
    are going to enthrone you
    and your past troubles and sufferings
    will be crowned in our days

Your words have taken root already
    in their hearts, and now, venerable elder,
    you will reap the fruits of your hard labor

Listen to the people's appeal
    use it in your struggle as a sickle:
    Long live Raphiel! May the nation have more sons like you!!!

29 October, 1895

In case poetry isn't your style, you can always buy a bottle of wine

Georgia_Gori_029.

The museum

Georgia_Gori_016.

Georgia_Gori_017.

Georgia_Gori_019.

Georgia_Gori_020.

A copy of Stalin's death mask

Georgia_Gori_023.

Gifts he received from other heads of state

Georgia_Gori_025.

Statue at the entrance

Georgia_Gori_026.

His desk and personal belongings

Georgia_Gori_028.

The house where he grew up

Georgia_Gori_030.

This is the room which his father rented from the owner, Stalin lived here until he was 15

Georgia_Gori_031.

Gori fortress, built upon ancient fortified foundations, it dates from the Middle Ages

Georgia_Gori_035.

Views from the top

Georgia_Gori_036.

Georgia_Gori_040.

Despite it being around noon, a local kid was already sleeping off some alcohol

Georgia_Gori_038.

Statue of Stalin standing proudly in front of the city hall, in the middle of the Stalinis gamziri (Stalin Square). The post communist government wanted to destroy the statue but decided to leave it intact after the citizens of Gori pleaded to leave it in place.

Georgia_Gori_041.

Here is the page with some additional photos on my site:
    http://www.jimbojack.com/Countries/Georgia/Gori.htm

I hope you enjoyed these photos, next up will be a series from the World Heritage sites in Armenia.

2. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    Phillip,

very interesting information. Thanks for all the picture and background.

3. jomike

jomike

Jun 7, 2008
    Surrey. England
    Very interesting photos, Philip, and also very topical. I don't think you want to be in Gori at the moment, see here

4. phillip,
    great shots
    nice of you to take us along on your journey
    no politics here
    stalin was a VERY IMPORTANT man in the world's history.... no matter what any of us might think of him

as mike said above....
    things in GEORGIA... aren't doing so well right now

5. wow... crazy to see these after reading so much news about whats going on in that region. wonderful series, yet so sad to know that some of that may be all destroyed.

6. Hovmod

Hovmod

Aug 11, 2008
    Norway
    Mindblowing contrast to the news.
    Good pictures.

7. awesome shots!

8. really cool shots. What brought you to that area of the world? Russia and Eastern Europe like such interesting places to shoot.

9. Thanks,

Well, I love to travel as much as possible, and it's been a while since I've been to Europe. I wanted to go to some new places, so I went to the Caucasus, Balkans and the Baltics.

That reminds me, I have to post some more pictures from my last trip. I'll have some ready in a couple of days :wink:

10. pat33

pat33

Nov 13, 2007
    Singapore
    Thanks for the tour. Beautiful shots.

11. Nice and interesting series. Thanks for taking us along.
    Although I find Stalin wine a bit hard to swallow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.