Gorillapod

I tried the gorilla pod with similar successes as noted above, I threw it away.
I drilled a hole in an old frisbee. Bolted a tripod head to it. Works perfectly . I can always find something to put it on. Used it all the time, even with big glass. Cost, less than a dollar
Gary
Clever. I'm sure Greg could come up with something for me. He is very creative that way.

Thank you so much. I don't think I can invert my center column. It seems to have a stop at each end to prevent it, but I'll have Greg look at it. He might be able to figure something out.

You're welcome!
Many tripods have a circular disc which unscrews at the base of the center column to allow it to be removed and inverted. The reason I use what I do is because many of the areas I set the camera up to photograph native orchids I need to keep real estate to a minimum so I don't damage other flowers.

You're welcome!
Many tripods have a circular disc which unscrews at the base of the center column to allow it to be removed and inverted. The reason I use what I do is because many of the areas I set the camera up to photograph native orchids I need to keep real estate to a minimum so I don't damage other flowers.
I will see if Greg can unscrew it. My hands aren't very strong but he can try.

The thought just occurred to me that I hang my camera from a boom using a device made of three parts and that the same concept would work for hanging the camera from the bottom area of the vertical part of your center column:
  1. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/replacement_for/572347-REG/Manfrotto_386B_386B_Nano_Clamp.html (NOTE: Make sure the clamp you would buy is large enough to go around the center column.)
  2. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/replacement_for/660317-REG/Manfrotto_492_492_Micro_Ball_Head.html
  3. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/682756-REG/Manfrotto_147_3_8_1_4_Adapter.html
Item #1 is the clamp that you would attach to the center column. Item #2 is the ball head that you would attach to the clamp. Item #3, which converts from 3/8" to 1/4", would be screwed on one end into the ball head and on the other end into the camera.

Notice that the first two items are discontinued, but I'm confident replacement items could be found. Depending on the equipment you would ultimately end up buying, Item #3 may not be needed to convert from one size to another; it might be made with two screws the same size.

The contraption seems rather convoluted and expensive compared to alternatives you've already been provided. Even so, if you want me to make a photo of the three parts connected as one device, I'll be happy to do that.

A guy in the video department at B&H devised the whole thing for me and I've been using it without any problems for 7 years. Lately I've been using it more often to suspend a speedlight instead of the camera above the scene.

Last edited:
The thought just occurred to me that I hang my camera from a boom using a device made of three parts and that the same concept would work for hanging the camera from the bottom area of the vertical part of your center column:
  1. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/replacement_for/572347-REG/Manfrotto_386B_386B_Nano_Clamp.html (NOTE: Make sure the clamp you would buy is large enough to go around the center column.)
  2. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/replacement_for/660317-REG/Manfrotto_492_492_Micro_Ball_Head.html
  3. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/682756-REG/Manfrotto_147_3_8_1_4_Adapter.html
Item #1 is the clamp that you would attach to the center column. Item #2 is the ball head that you would attach to the clamp. Item #3, which converts from 3/8" to 1/4", would be screwed on one end into the ball head and on the other end into the camera.

Notice that the first two items are discontinued, but I'm confident replacement items could be found. Depending on the equipment you would ultimately end up buying, Item #3 may not be needed to convert from one size to another; it might be made with two screws the same size.

The contraption seems rather convoluted and expensive compared to alternatives you've already been provided. Even so, if you want me to make a photo of the three parts connected as one device, I'll be happy to do that.

A guy in the video department at B&H devised the whole thing for me and I've been using it without any problems for 7 years. Lately I've been using it more often to suspend a speedlight instead of the camera above the scene.
How creative!! Thank you so much!

Greg just helped me get my center column turned upside down!! Yay! You guys are all so smart!! What would I do without the cafe!! I will try tomorrow and see how it works for me. Thank you all.

That is fantastic!

If you find it works well for you and you get hooked on macro subjects close to the ground, keep an eye out for a smaller tripod with the same functionality in one of the sales. The ones I listed were purely based on how short the legs were. I find carrying the smaller tripod through the bush much easier than a full size tripod. However, I'm in the bush nearly every weekend of the year so the gear gets used a lot.

That is fantastic!

If you find it works well for you and you get hooked on macro subjects close to the ground, keep an eye out for a smaller tripod with the same functionality in one of the sales. The ones I listed were purely based on how short the legs were. I find carrying the smaller tripod through the bush much easier than a full size tripod. However, I'm in the bush nearly every weekend of the year so the gear gets used a lot.
Good point. Thank you so much.

Real Name
Ken
That is fantastic!

Most tripods allow you to remove the center column. It is just a matter of how easy or hard it is to remove the end cap. If you like your ballhead from your Gitzo, you can use it on a smaller set of legs. The question is how small of a set works best for you and how much adjustment ability you need. They range from travel size to tabletop, and almost everything in between.

Good luck,

--Ken

I think there is a little confusion here. A tabletop tripod is just that such as I posted photos of. A short tripod is one that has very little vertical reach which is different to a full tripod which can go up to 6 ft

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Teri, I had the same tripod. The center column did not interfer with laying the tripod on its side and spreading two of the legs. Easy to do in the field and you don't have to chance the configuration back and forth. Either way, hope you find a solution that works for you.

Teri, I had the same tripod. The center column did not interfer with laying the tripod on its side and spreading two of the legs. Easy to do in the field and you don't have to chance the configuration back and forth. Either way, hope you find a solution that works for you.
Thanks, Karen. It will be a great solution when I want to be right on the ground!! I appreciate your help! What tripod do you have now?

Most tripods allow you to remove the center column. It is just a matter of how easy or hard it is to remove the end cap. If you like your ballhead from your Gitzo, you can use it on a smaller set of legs. The question is how small of a set works best for you and how much adjustment ability you need. They range from travel size to tabletop, and almost everything in between.

Good luck,

--Ken
Thank you, Ken. The end cap really wasn't as hard to remove as I was anticipating. There are probably better ballheads now, but mine still works fine so I'm not ready to spend more money on a new one. But perhaps buying some smaller legs would be helpful. Mine isn't a super tall tripod, as I am not very tall myself.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thanks, Karen. It will be a great solution when I want to be right on the ground!! I appreciate your help! What tripod do you have now?
I now have the RRS 24T. "T" for tall. I am only 5'3" - but the tall tripod is a big help enabling me to look through the viewfinder when the camera is aimed up high when shooting BIF, fireworks, interior domes of state capitols or cathedrals, etc......

For my little GT0531, Gitzo sold a "ground-level kit" that allows one to remove the center column entirely. Once I got that installed, I left it that way.

_JZ64058.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have a bigger tripod for when I need to go taller.

They also made such a kit for the 3-series tripods, but apparently that's been discontinued. Bummer.

But there does seem to be one available for the 1-series.

For my little GT0531, Gitzo sold a "ground-level kit" that allows one to remove the center column entirely. Once I got that installed, I left it that way.

The issue I found with that configuration is the ball head and legs are still between the camera and ground. It also doesn’t work too well on uneven ground, or in thick bush and bracken. Also with the legs out like that I couldn’t put the tripod close to the subject without the possibility of damaging others close by.

In the end so long as it works for the subjects you’re photographing then that’s all that matters. Like cameras I gave up trying to make one a ‘Jack of all trades’. I now have different combinations of bodies and tripods which I find more suited to the subjects I’m photographing.

Latest threads

Top Bottom