1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Gorillas at Bristol Zoo

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by alanhill, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Bristol Zoo only has a small group of gorillas, because it doesn't have room to house too many; but it's very nice to visit if the light is good, particularly if you know the stories of the gorillas.

You see the youngsters first; this is Namoki, a three year old female.
    Bristol002a074.

This is little Komale, eighteen month old male.
    View attachment 243429
    He's still a bit too small for very severe climbs.
    View attachment 243430

This is Jock, their father. Even by silverback standards, he's a big boy.
    View attachment 243431

Romina is Namoki's mother. She had severe sight problems until she had bilateral cataract operations a few years ago. Since then she has mated, given birth and is raising her daughter very successfully.
    View attachment 243432

Salome, the other female, wouldn't pose properly for me. As a relatively old lady at 30, she had to have fertility treatment before she conceived and gave birth to Komale. She is also a very attentive mother, as you can see.
    View attachment 243433

D300 & 300mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor, with monopod.

Alan

2. mrlimpet

mrlimpet

May 12, 2006
    san francisco
    wonderful pics alan! thanks for sharing these.

my san francisco zoo has no baby gorillas so i don't get to witness parental behavior.

love the closeups of jock and romina. i'd say you had very good light that day! :smile:

3. post

Excellent series of images of the gorrillas and a very interesting narrative Allan. :cool: :cool: 

4. Thank you for your comments. I think I was lucky with the daylight for these photos.

Alan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.