Gorillas at Bristol Zoo

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by alanhill, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Bristol Zoo only has a small group of gorillas, because it doesn't have room to house too many; but it's very nice to visit if the light is good, particularly if you know the stories of the gorillas.

You see the youngsters first; this is Namoki, a three year old female.
    Bristol002a074.gif

This is little Komale, eighteen month old male.
    View attachment 243429
    He's still a bit too small for very severe climbs.
    View attachment 243430

This is Jock, their father. Even by silverback standards, he's a big boy.
    View attachment 243431

Romina is Namoki's mother. She had severe sight problems until she had bilateral cataract operations a few years ago. Since then she has mated, given birth and is raising her daughter very successfully.
    View attachment 243432

Salome, the other female, wouldn't pose properly for me. As a relatively old lady at 30, she had to have fertility treatment before she conceived and gave birth to Komale. She is also a very attentive mother, as you can see.
    View attachment 243433

D300 & 300mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor, with monopod.

Alan

2. mrlimpet

mrlimpet

May 12, 2006
    san francisco
    wonderful pics alan! thanks for sharing these.

my san francisco zoo has no baby gorillas so i don't get to witness parental behavior.

love the closeups of jock and romina. i'd say you had very good light that day! :smile:

3. post

Excellent series of images of the gorrillas and a very interesting narrative Allan. :cool::cool:

4. Thank you for your comments. I think I was lucky with the daylight for these photos.

Alan