Critique Gorillas - Updated

Yesterday, I photographed a couple of gorillas while visiting the Brookfield Zoo. The first three portraits are of the young male gorilla (about 3 years old) and the last one is of his mother:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

I don't normally suggest this type of thing, but I would like to see these in B+W.

Cannot fault the captures or the processing that you have chosen.

Must get myself to a decent zoo - the nearest is about 100 miles away.

DG

Hi Glenn,

1, 3, and 4 work better for me, probably because of the diagonals in the composition. You really nailed the eyes in all of them. Well done, sir.
Thanks...much appreciated!
Very well done! I like them all!
Thank you, Alex...I think your previous suggestion regarding increased contrast helped with these.
Excellent captures and processing!
Thank you, Karen
I don't normally suggest this type of thing, but I would like to see these in B+W.

Cannot fault the captures or the processing that you have chosen.

Must get myself to a decent zoo - the nearest is about 100 miles away.
Thanks Dave...I am fortunate to live near Brookfield Zoo. Most of the exhibits use moats to separate the visitors from the animals--which means no glass, cages, wires, bars between me and my subject.

The only downside is that I almost always photograph the gorillas using flash. Yesterday, I was told that flash photography is no longer allowed inside this exhibit. I've been photographing these gorillas for more than a decade using flash...so this will make things far more challenging moving forward. At least they haven't banned tripods yet!

Glenn

For free anyway
Great point...more and more places are charging premiums for incremental access.

I am going to be visiting White Sands in November and was surprised to learn that there is no access to the site until after sunrise...and that I will need to get back to the entrance and out soon after sunset. However, for $100 I can enter the park in time for sunrise!

I noticed this same trend in various museums, old prison sites, etc. Pay a premium (often times $80 or $100) to be able to visit during the photography hour. While in Taos, I learned that I would have to pay $80 to carry my tripod onto the grounds of the Taos Pueblo.

Glenn

Last edited:
B&W looks like a nice option for some of these...

Glenn

Great point...more and more places are charging premiums for incremental access.

I am going to be visiting White Sands in November and was surprised to learn that there is no access to the site until after sunrise...and that I will need to get back to the entrance and out soon after sunset. However, for $100 I can enter the park in time for sunrise!

I noticed this same trend in various museums, old prison sites, etc. Pay a premium (often times $80 or $100) to be able to visit during the photography hour. While in Taos, I learned that I would have to pay $80 to carry my tripod onto the grounds of the Taos Pueblo.

Glenn
I honestly prefer paying for less crowds. Tourists w cell phones are unlikely to pay

Real Name
Bill Walderman
Beautiful portraits. I like the color images better, I think. To me, they convey the gentleness of these creatures, and make them almost seem human. The B&W image seems more aggressive, though it's a striking image.

The black and white certainly has a WOW factor to it.
Thank you
Beautiful portraits. I like the color images better, I think. To me, they convey the gentleness of these creatures, and make them almost seem human. The B&W image seems more aggressive, though it's a striking image.
Thanks! These gorillas are gentle. Several years ago, one of the gorillas from this very exhibit carried a three year old child to safety after the child fell over the railing and down into the exhibit.

Glenn

Thanks for pointing these out in your bird thread. I somehow missed this series.

Wonderful portraits. I'm partial to the color versions and really like #1. The coloring and detail in the fur and eyes are superb.
Thank you, Mitch...I am very happy with the image quality for ISO 2000. I photograph a lot of stationary subjects (architecture and landscapes), so my camera is almost always set to ISO 64.

Glenn

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom