Gosia (pronounced GO-sha) in the studio (2nd pic added)

Discussion in 'People' started by Steve S, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Had the opportunity to do a shoot with this lovely young lady last night. She's a retired dancer. More later.
    C & C's welcomed.
    original.
    Model NIKON D2X
    Focal Length 70 mm
    Exposure Time 1/160 sec
    Aperture f/7.1
    ISO Equivalent 100
    White Balance pre
    Exposure Program manual

original.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2007
  2. i dont know... the composition doesn't do it for me... but i like the color of her dress n shoes! haha.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Laura,

Can you tell me what about the comp you're not digging? Is it too "safe", ie just kind'a boring or what? She just wanted some portrait shots, nothing too avant garde.

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Bump for 2nd added pic

Does everyone think they stink? Oh well, back to the drawing board.

5. i think its just the dead space at the top left that i dont like.. kinda unbalanced?

6. Hey Steve. The first just didn't work for me. I think her leg is pulled up to far and appears mashed into her breast. The second is very nice. Pose, crop and exposure. One nitpick though, the clasp on her necklace.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Roy.

We tried to copy a pose idea I had on file, but didn't quite nail it. The model in the pose we tried to emulate did have har leg less vertical, and was bending over more. In the 2nd shot, her doggone pendant at the end of her necklace was literally standing straight up off her body, and I had to make it go away. by the time I was done with that, I was too exhausted to mess with the clasp. Next time I'll check her over better before stepping back to shoot!

8. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    I like the 2nd shot. I am with Laura, I crop some off the top and th right of the frame.

9. jasonlawton

jasonlawton Guest

I think they're cool. Everyones got an opinion at the end of the day. Thanks for posting!

Jase:wink:

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Fred & Jason, I added a 3rd pic

I'm always open to suggestions and appreciate any comments, good or bad.

1st, I will show the suggested edit of pic #1:
    original.

Then, this is the 3rd pic in the series:
    original.

11. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I like the splash of red! Nice shots. I have lots of trouble getting full body shots cuz my studio's too small.

12. jasonlawton

jasonlawton Guest

Wow, a Stunner! your very lucky to shoot with such a beautiful model. Love that lost shot. Perhaps the only thing distracting a bit is the material that stretches behind her right leg, in my eyes that would be cleaner just showing the curve on her leg and not have the tone of the material showing. Such a quick PS thing to solve but otherwise a perfect image of a perfect model imo:wink:

Jason:smile:

13. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    Okay ... I'll go against the grain then and say that I think they're all good. Real good. I like the colors, the poses, the model .... I can't find anything wrong with it.

Bill

14. cuss2much

cuss2much Guest

great lighting... beautiful girl...

maybe different posing
    or expressions...

15. 3rd one is the best. In the 1st one she looks like a person pretending to be a model. On the last she really looks like one.

16. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks everyone,

Hiya Greg! Good to see you here again, and thanks for the comments.

Thanks a lot Bill!

Thanksm gonna try to get her back again soon.

Thanks for commenting barrioso. Please bear in mind, she isn't a model trying to be a model, she a dancer trying to do poses for me. She's never done a real photo shoot before in her life. She did pretty good for her 1st time. The only real problem we had was that of communication. English isn't her 1st language. For instance, when I told her to tilt her head she would turn it instead, and so on.

17. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Good eye Jason

I see exactly what you mean! Yes, that's gotta go. You know how it is, can't see the forest for the trees thing. I spent so much time with that pic correcting my lighting and background mistakes, that I never noticed that section of sheet against her leg.

18. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Last pic from session:

She wanted a pic next to my car for her friends back home. Here's a tight crop of one of the better ones:

original.

19. Lovely young lady Steve and the shots are sensuous. On the first one I did not like the way your cropped into the back of the model, still it has an appeal. On the second one I would crop just a bit off the top and right of the frame so as not to have her legs show. To me that is distracting from the overall look of the image. I might also have left just a bit more on the left instead of cropping into her head. By doing this it would have moved her eyes to the golden mean and heightened the look of the image. Love the dress and the overall effect of this image. Who noticed the clasp? :rolleyes::smile:

I like the third one you posted.

20. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Gordon,

I ended up cropping the #1 shot even more, as per the suggestion here, and the reason for this is that her back is all hunched over, and looked wierd. This is the same crop as the pic I copied off a modeling site for the pose idea.
    The reclining shot in the red dress has her head cropped that way, because, for one, I didn't really like the way her hair was lying. If you look at Mary Duprie's work, she quite often crops away much of the model's head and has total disregard for the rule of thirds, and you can't argue with her success! It's not traditional, I know.
    I will try your crop suggestion of taking some off the top and eliminating that bit of leg in the frame and see if that might improve it. As long as I can keep an 11x14 ratio. I like that ratio better than the traditional 8x10, as it a bit more elongated... less square.