Got $8k in spare change?

The thing is, the 400/2.8 is a money maker, as there really isn’t a lens out there that renders like it.

Is the rendering between a 58/0.95 and 50/1.2 really different enough to support the difference in cost? Personally, I don’t think so.
I find it a bit weird Nikon prioritized this lens instead of doing an AF 50mm 1.2 S lens first, but I can see some practical applications for things like video, high end portraiture and top level landscape work. Also I know there's a subset of well-heeled photographers who can easily purchase this lens. Nikon might even just do a limited production run and the value of the lens might skyrocket afterwards, so who knows! Saying that, I'm still pretty happy with Nikon 50mm 1.2 AIS which I got for a good price! :D

I seem to be in the minority looking back fondly when Nikon created some truly exotic glass. Because they could.
You're not the only one. I think it's great for the brand to produce lenses just because they can, even if not many sell. Nikon have done it many times in the past :)

Real Name
Jake
You're not the only one. I think it's great for the brand to produce lenses just because they can, even if not many sell. Nikon have done it many times in the past :)
I’m in the middle ground here. I like the fact that Nikon makes exotic lenses, but I wish some of them were more affordable (even if it means making them “less exotic”).

Real Name
Carl
This is nothing new! Years ago, I recall Canon, or maybe Nikon, and they are giving it a new try, hyping just such a lens...same max. aperture. Of course, If it was Canon...Industrial Espionage (defined as Theft) would have saved $$$ in R&D. But, our favorite company would NEVER do that...right? I remember long, but not this morning...I am a Dinosaur. Remember the Bunab? :D

This lens will be awesome..... Georgie tried to order two to do stereo imaging, Fortunately her CC was declined...

One think that is VERY interesting is that in one of the promo videos they mention " ground aspheric lenses" Normally all the aspheric elements are molded. Molding is a lot cheaper than grinding an aspheric so Nikon really did go all out to make the lens absolutely awesome.

The price is realistic when one considers the Leica version costs $12K.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

" mom, you would think 8K reasonable after spending $1200. on a brass nut and rubber seal for your mass spec." - Georgie Beagle

"ah ha, I found your cc mom, Nikon Noct here we come..." -Georgie Beagle

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom