Got a spare $ 45,000 - $ 60,000??

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Frits, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Not bad for a lot of 320 of them. Oh, wait, that is not "quantity" is it????

But, how fast will it AF on the D50? Does that suitcase handle double as a tripod mount? I was going to bid on it until I saw that "no return" policy, I mean, don't they trust their mechandise?????

Sheesh, if you had this, would you ever had the guts to mount it on a camera and take it out in the field?

2. I doubt you can mount / use it on your trusty DSLR :smile: :smile:

3. Well, I hope you are happy now, you have ruined my whole day. I was going to send an email to my wife asking her to get this for me for Christmas, now I have to think of something else.......:wink:

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Uhhh, I think I'd have to up my VISA limit a tad (like about $60,000). :rolleyes:

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I'm thinking that a person could do some serious birding with a lens like that!

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    I was just about to make the purchase when I looked a second time and saw F6.3, I was looking for a 2.8. Damn!

8. Flew... I'd have to up mine by 60,001$. That would be the most expensive 1$ in my life! I'll save 1$ and I won't buy the lens, after all :wink:

9. AND there's a 10% buyer's premium!!!! Well, that just did it for me....was gonna bid until I saw that!!! :wink:

10. nfoto

nfoto Guest

There will always be a discrepancy between the collector's appreciation and the practical value of any lens or camera.

Some 30 years ago I purchased a pretty black Nikon S3 rangefinder in London for the equivalent of $150. I was later told that this camera is extremely rare, one amongst a special-made lot of 5 cameras, and its value was approximate $ 50.000 :Exclamati. I knew when I purchased it that this was a lovely camera and accordingly, up til recently it has been thrown in the trunk of my car together with other stuff I needed on my trips, and put to its designated task of securing pictures. After 30 years the camera still operates with a silky-smooth feeling to the controls and the shutter speeds are dead on. To my eyes it has lead a meaningful life. I discovered an old Nikon F of the same vintage when I moved into my late wife's house a few years ago, and I have tried to use the camera, but all the years of inactivity had made the controls stick together so the advance lever jammed and the shutter couldn't be released. Photographic gear obviously is intended to be used, not collected.

I'm sure there is a morale hidden somewhere in these ramblings, but not certain exactly which one. And despite my photography earnings having skyrocketed the last months, I won't purchase the 1000 mm f/6.3 Nikkor even though I do have the appropriate camera for it :biggrin:

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That price seems a tad out of line with the optics. Take a Meade 10 inch Schmidt-Newtonian f/4 telescope, add a Nikon F t-adapter and there you have it, an 85 pound 1000mm with an even faster f/ratio for under $2000 including all the adapting hardware!

(By the way, I have no connection with OPT, but if you do go to their store, check out the glass star mosaic in the center of their floor!)

12. nfoto

nfoto Guest

As I said, collector's prices follow their own orbits. No down-to-earth logic there.

I know about this rare item and it is copiously illustrated and discussed in Nikon literature.

13. Hey, with the TC16A that would make a 1,600mm/8 - I think the D2H will juuuuust be able to AF with that :biggrin:

Ming