Got approached by an irrate bystander today

You handled the situation very well.
Good job on keeping the peace and keeping a good image for the company you work for.

Real Name
Heiko
Somehow I think there has to be more to this story. What else was near the sign you spoke of? Was it by the bathrooms or anything?

I agree with you.

I've been reading this post attentively since I also sometimes shoot people on the street (with a camera, not gun!), and even when not, carrying a big cam and lens does draw attention.

Now here is my interpretation of the situation:

8:30 in the morning, the little girl had to go for a pee. Her father took her to the bushes, and when he emerged with her he saw the guy with the camera and long lens pointing somewhat their way. He adds 1+1 and viola - the rest is history.

This story just sounds like some serious misunderstanding, or bad coincidence. The guy certainly overreacted. While I would probably resolve the situation more the way Frank suggests, I think the OP handled it very well.

Real Name
Heiko
I once got reproached by a lady in a hotel swimming pool, who asked me to stop shooting pictures of her. In fact, I was taking pictures of my daughter who happened to be nearby in the pool. Now, the best part was that there was another guy right next to the pool and this lady shooting happily his P&S, also in her direction (from another angle, though). I had the 80-200/2.8 mounted on a D700, not very inconspicuous.

Fact is, my pictures were sharp around my daughter's head, and all other people (if any) were nicely blurred out. I'm sure the P&S shooter had sharp pictures of the woman, though he also seems to have been pointing at his kids.

I accommodated the lady by not pointing in her direction at all anymore. Today I would have stood my ground more assertively - after all, why should I pay the price for other peoples ignorance or lack of knowledge?

I had the same thing happen to me at the fair last year. I was there with my tripod set up taking long exposures of moving rides to get the blur effects I wanted.

I was taking photos of this one ride and this guy comes up to me and asks me why I was taking photos of his daughter and I need to delete the photos of her. I tried to explanie that there is no way you can see anyone on the ride since its all blury but he did not believe me even when I showed him the back of the camera.

Lucky for me a sheriff's officer was walking by and I flagged him down, he told the guy to beat it and told me to have a good night.

People are just protective of their kids which is understandable.

I crack up everytime people in demonstrations/protests argue about me taking their photo. Just protest in your own house then if you don't want to be seen… :rolleyes:

Yeah it doesn't quite make sense does it ? Maybe they should cover their signs as well so nobody can read what they say :smile:

I agree with you.

I've been reading this post attentively since I also sometimes shoot people on the street (with a camera, not gun!), and even when not, carrying a big cam and lens does draw attention.

Now here is my interpretation of the situation:

8:30 in the morning, the little girl had to go for a pee. Her father took her to the bushes, and when he emerged with her he saw the guy with the camera and long lens pointing somewhat their way. He adds 1+1 and viola - the rest is history.

This story just sounds like some serious misunderstanding, or bad coincidence. The guy certainly overreacted. While I would probably resolve the situation more the way Frank suggests, I think the OP handled it very well.

Just wanted to clarify a couple of things on how it all went down. The direction I pointed was not near any bushes or bathroom of any kind. The park is in the middle of a square and is completely open on all sides. The direction I pointed the lens was at least 45 degrees from where he and his daughter were standing if not more. They had come from what I guess was his tent. He was simply going out of his way to be a thorn in my side because he saw the camera's around my neck, and I had one of them raised when he first saw me.

The whole protest was made up of mostly unemployed people on welfare/unemployment who probably didn't have the slightest idea what they were even protesting in the first place. In fact two days after I was confronted one of the protesters shot himself in the park. He died on the scene. Since then the city has forced them to remove their tent city from the park, and in retaliation they have been doing random acts of vandalism, and general mischief all over the city. It's all just a bunch of nonsense really.

Real Name
Heiko
Just wanted to clarify a couple of things on how it all went down. The direction I pointed was not near any bushes or bathroom of any kind. The park is in the middle of a square and is completely open on all sides. The direction I pointed the lens was at least 45 degrees from where he and his daughter were standing if not more. They had come from what I guess was his tent. He was simply going out of his way to be a thorn in my side because he saw the camera's around my neck, and I had one of them raised when he first saw me.

The whole protest was made up of mostly unemployed people on welfare/unemployment who probably didn't have the slightest idea what they were even protesting in the first place. In fact two days after I was confronted one of the protesters shot himself in the park. He died on the scene. Since then the city has forced them to remove their tent city from the park, and in retaliation they have been doing random acts of vandalism, and general mischief all over the city. It's all just a bunch of nonsense really.

Hello Gary,

Wow, it looks like there is really something wrong with that guy. I don't know how I'd reacted in your case, but you did real good.

We had a lot of protests here against high housing prices, and tent camps could be seen in every major city (there aren't many). There was only one violent incident and it was reported that the police went out of line.

Though I didn't participate, these protesters had my full sympathy. Housing prices here are ridiculous. The protests did have their effect: housing prices are going down, and government was forced to do something about housing.

I'm sorry to hear that the protest in your town wasn't something to be proud of.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom