Got equipment back from Nikon Service

When it comes to sending stuff in for warrantee work, I'm way too lazy. Case in point, there are two obvious things that my Subaru needs to get some TLC for and I'm trying my best to ignore it rather than just bring it in. So I paid almost $1300 in January of '07 for my 70-200 and when it came in, it wasn't perfectly adjusted. It was pretty easy to see in pictures, they were all very slightly out of focus.

At the same time I picked up the 70-200, I also picked up an SB-800. When I put the SB on my D200 body, it was pretty obvious that the fit between the two devices wasn't the best. The SB would flop around inside the camera's hotshoe a bit. This wasn't a major issue, but occasionally both contact points would get touched closing the circuit and firing the flash.

Then I picked up a used 20mm 2.8 from someone over at the Cafe. The lens was great and offered just the kind of focal distortion I was looking for - that is, when it would actually achieve focus. It's a hit or miss thing this lens. When it hits focus, it's tack-on sharp. When it misses, it misses wildly.

Then, about a year ago, I dropped my camera with my 35mm f/2.0 attached to it. It was a very small drop, but at the angle that the lens hit floor, my 35mm developed a crack. A quick check of the equipment showed that the lens functioned correct - the only real problem was that I could no longer fit a filter nor could I securely fashion the lens cap.

Despite the fact that at this point only 1 piece of equipment in my entire kit was working correct, my 50mm 1.4, I didn't actually send anything in for service until two weeks ago. With our vacation out of the way as well as a few gigs, and with nothing on the horizon for a month or so, I decided to finally drive it over to Nikon Melville and drop off a few things.

First ... the girl behind the counter was good looking, I mean really good looking. This normally means that she knows nothing about photography (or any of my other hobbies for that matter) .... so I started off talking in real basic laymans terms:

"Well, this lens misses focus slightly. When you half-depress the shutter (points to shutter button), it focuses slightly behind the object you're ...."

Hot chic: "Yo doofus .. what am I a 4 year old? So you're saying it backfocuses (rips 70-200 from my hand and starts writing). What else you got in the bag I need to look at?"

So much for layman. If I get divorced ... I'm going straight back there. I think she really had a thing for me. :biggrin:

Anyway, I dropped it off on Thursday and opted to have it shipped. It was back in my hands 13 days later. To say they did a FANTASTIC job would be to insult them. My 70-200 is spot on. I actually noticed it before I ever took my first photo with it ... I could actually see the difference in the viewfinder. My 20mm is now about half as loud as it used to be, it's like they greased up the motor or something because it focuses slightly faster now and does so MUCH more quietly. My 35mm was fixed for $71 and looks brand new. They did a great job with it. My SB-800 now mates with my D200 perfectly. No slop whatsoever. Oh, and I also had the rubber grips replaced on my D200, they were starting to peel.

The best part is the the other little things. Like the absolutely perfectly clean eyepiece I now have. The cleaned it and removed dust from both the inside and outside. My sensor had this little annoying spot/smudge that only showed up at F/11 or higher and wouldn't blow out with my Rocket Blower - gone. I had had a small scratch on the LCD cover on the top of the D200, they replaced the LCD screen/cover at no charge. Overall, I'm very impressed and will make sure not to wait so long next time.

One Happy Customer here.

So, how many "test shots" of the Nikon staff did you take when you visited their fine facility? :wink:

Sean
Ah marriage. That wonderful state of bliss where if you bring home pictures you took of a very attractive girl you sleep on the couch for a few months if you're lucky.

If you're not, you end up physically bruised, worth half of what you were worth a few months earlier, and paying child-support and alimony for the rest of your life.

How much was total repair cost, if you don't mind me asking? Oh, and next time anyone single makes their way to the repair facility, mind snapping a few shots? :D

How much was total repair cost, if you don't mind me asking? Oh, and next time anyone single makes their way to the repair facility, mind snapping a few shots? :D
She was a tall black girl, 5'9" or so, thin (but not too), great smile, wearing a white polka-dot dress that fit, um, well.

My 70-200 was till under warrant. As was the body/flash. My 20mm 2.8 I bought used off the cafe and expected to get charged, but when I got the invoice in the mail, there was a note that the lens had an extended warranty attached to it (previous owner I guess). The rubber grip starting to fail was covered under warranty as well. In the end, I paid $71 (which was lower than the original estimate of $105) to repair my damaged 35mm 2.0.

That was it - $71 out the door including shipping to my house.

Sounds like a great experience. I just shipped my 70-200 and one of my D2Hs off yesterday. I'm hoping the 70-200 is fixed under warranty - although I couldn't find my warranty card. I did send my receipt in though...

Wow Billy we sound alot alike, my 70-200 has been giving me fits also, my 60mm macro's focus is loud and my D200 has rubber pealing and a dust spot I have not been able to clean.

Oh and also I tend to put things off as long as possible, my truck has had an intrmintent check engine light for some time:actions1:

We just finshed one vacation and with another in september I plan on sending some stuff in rite after the 4th. I am planning to!:biggrin::biggrin:

Billy, that's a terrific story! Whenever Nikon has worked on my gear, I've been a happy camper. My recently refurbished d200 looks and operates like it did when it was brand new.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom