Got it! Gettin Satellite Internet on Friday AM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PhotoByMark, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Well, I am gonna take the big hit and get satellite internet service. I hope this stuff works well.

I know most of you got cable or dsl but, there are a few of us out here that are way behind the curve based on that connection poll a week ago or so.

If anyone cares and/or would like to know what I think of it - just pm or post to this thread and I will respond by Sunday or so with my experiences thus far. Or I am sure I will post some good or bad anyway on this thread. Please let it be good!

I hopefully soon, can visit the other half of the forums on this site (all those photo forums down below). Right now, my connection is painfully slow and hard for me to view pics without long waits.

My fingers are crossed.

Oh yeah - In anticipation of posting many more photos I upgraded my FlickR account too!

2. Good luck Mark. I hope everything goes smooth and you finally get what you want. Just be advised that the outgoing traffic will remain "painfully slow"...

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Mark,

I'm interested. Please to post your experiences.

Thanks,

4. Mark

What provider are you going to use?

I am also biting the bullet and getting Direcway. Waiting for the installer to make an appointment.

Russ

5. I almost went with DirecWay however, this new company has just started up recently called WildBlue.

They are suppose to have more reliable and faster connections than DirecWay and use the KA Band. Honestly I have not researched enough to understand why the KA Band is better but I will see what happens.

They have several pricing plans - I am going with the cheapest for now. The other plans cost more and you get faster download speeds and slighlty faster upload speeds. Keep in mind though with satellite upload speeds are significantly slower than download speeds. Really I do not care right now cause I am currently at 20k on a modem. Both upload and download are slow.....

I will provide comments by end of weekend.....

6. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Mark, I had the same problem with dial up since I live in the country. ANY improvement is like going into warp drive. I think you will be pleased. I chose Direcway becasue of thier experience and longevity to date.

only glitch is same as video...you tend to loose it during storms. the rain is actually stopping the signal.

7. Mark

I was looking at WildBlue but they are unavailable in this area at the present.

Russ

8. Got IT! Install went smoothly and fairly quickly.

I have been testing it out this afternoon and it is working well. Of course, T-Storms probably not gonna work at all. Oh well, that is ok.

For now, I got the cheapest plan 500k down/128k up. Next step up would be 1000k down/128k up. Probably gonna want that after I use it for awhile and then it too will seem slow.

At least now I can take a trip to the forums below and browse more pics.

And updating software will be a little easier and time consuming.

Cool part, no software to load. Just a satellite and modem, connect to the old router/firewall via wan port and it works. Nice!

Well, if anyone has questions - post them or pm me and I will try to answer them.

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I wish I knew the questions to ask.

I am very interested in you results over a period of time.

please kee this up dated or you can pm me.
    I am very interested.

thank You.

Very Happy for you :>)) Oh what a relief it is :>))

10. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    You have a router with dial-up?

Well, I'm on dial-up at the moment. So I called the cable company and they say they have to dig up the street to run cable into our house. Ugh. It's gonna be a few weeks for me.

But I forgot how painfully slow dial-up is. I'm avoiding those threads with images now :(

11. Gale-All is I can say is ahhhhhhh.... feels goood.

Just updated computers with virus updates, windows updates etc....

I know both are suppose to do automatically but, usually both just crap out in the middle of massive downloads or I need to stop(reboot) or something so I can use connection.

I also downloaded Windows RAW Viewer in about 20-30 minutes ~50MB which for me before would have been a lifetime.

I probably will even pony up in a couple months for even more speed and get DSL rates down anyway/256k up.

GHO-Yep my dial-up was always online - if it goes down router redials and connects and multiple computers as well. And 5 years ago I was using IDSL. Very expensive and regular DSL was just getting going and of course not available. Wierd how this IDSL thing was available. Oh yeah and about $350 per month. Woah!

I already had fun uploading some pics to my FLICKR account. Uploading is only 128k so about 6 times better than before but still better.

Yipppeeee!