Got my 17-55 today.... PICS added

I got the 17-55 today and played with it a little bit. Took a few shots wide open and it looks great!! Here are a few quickies wide open. Resized, leveled and sharpened.

17mm
17%7D001.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

35mm
17%7D002.JPG

55mm
17%7D003.JPG

One quick impression was that it is significantly smaller and lighter than the Beast. I never saw both lenses at the same time. The D200/ 17-55 combo really seems to balance nicely together... seems better balanced to me than the Beast.

I think the 17-55 has found a new home on my D200. :biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Donzo. It is a nice combination. I'm curious to see how and when you use it and the Beast. I find this one to pair up nicely with the 70-200 for travel and landscapes and use the Beast more for people and local shooting.

Thanks Guys...

I did not buy it new. I bought it from a nice guy on FM who barely used it. Came complete with box and accessories as well as original receipt.

I paid 1050 shipped. Semms to be the going rate.... :biggrin:

Congrats on the new glass. I have run thousands of images through mine and it remains my most used lens by far. It doesn't do any one thing exceptionally but it does everything very well indeed.

It's really not that much smaller and lighter than the 28-70 but I believe the way the two are made makes it seem that way. The 28-70 has more weight out front and the diameter close to the cam body is a good bit larger. Those two combined make it look and feel much larger and heavier. One thing is for sure, though -- you are correct in that it balances VERY well on the D200. Quite the pair. :biggrin:

Phil

Well I really, REALLY want this lens, and so far I checked pricegrabber and they gave me a site called Norman Camera. Anyone know if it's trustworthy?

And also, I did find it at Beachcamera but it's 100 more.

Well I really, REALLY want this lens, and so far I checked pricegrabber and they gave me a site called Norman Camera. Anyone know if it's trustworthy?

And also, I did find it at Beachcamera but it's 100 more.

I've purchased from Norman Camera (both net and phone) several times with no issues.

Congrats! I'm looking forward to getting this lens as well. You guys are reaffirming everything I've heard and read thus far about the lens.

Sell? Sheesh, I keep them at the office so my wife doesn't find out :biggrin:. She thinks I only have one camera LOL.

That's HYSTERICAL!!! I guess she never saw any of the money you got back when you had the Nikon clearance either huh?? :eek::eek: That was a hunk of dough :wink::wink:

Congrats on the new glass. I have run thousands of images through mine and it remains my most used lens by far. It doesn't do any one thing exceptionally but it does everything very well indeed.

It's really not that much smaller and lighter than the 28-70 but I believe the way the two are made makes it seem that way. The 28-70 has more weight out front and the diameter close to the cam body is a good bit larger. Those two combined make it look and feel much larger and heavier. One thing is for sure, though -- you are correct in that it balances VERY well on the D200. Quite the pair. :biggrin:

Phil

28-70.... size: 3.5 X 4.9 inches... weight 31.3 oz.

17-55... size: 3.4 X 4.4 inches... weight 26.6 oz.

R

rubendparra

Hey Don ,

Congrats for your new tool member :D !

it's a great one lens solution for your d200, you can keep the 28-70 . along with the 12-24 , 70-200 for the field with your D2xs.

Terrific plan Don. You inspired me, I going to carry the 17-55, 105VR or 70-180 (4.5-5.6) micro and 180 2.8. Gotta have a micro with me!! LOL!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom