Got my D70 IRmod today - first samples

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Wilk, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    OK, so this is my first trip out with the new toy - Rita put the kibosh on the blue sky thingie... but I'm quite happy with the way the clouds came out for the most part. Just slapped the kit lens on and stuffed it in my backpack and tooled around on my bike a bit.

Critizism is MORE than welcomed... keep in mind though, my IR work is going to be just as wierd as my D2x work :biggrin: if not moreso!

Some of these, I played with the hue, all of them had the red/blue channels reversed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now... time to hunker down! Just hope Rita is nice to SoFla - looks as though she may be. Above all, let's all pray she doesn't turn on new orleans!

2. Very Nice

I like it. This is really cool. Where can I get the D70 mod?
    Thanks,

3. Steve, I like these alot. Way to go. Looks like you are in for some fun with your new toy.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hi Muril,

Thanks for the kind words! I got mine from life pixel The service and results were just as advertized, so I would highly reccomend them.

6. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hi Gordon,

Yeah... great fun indeed. It's amazing to be able to do IR work hand held - suits my shooting style perfectly.

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. These are great! Normally I'm not an IR fan, but I like these a lot. My daughter (she's 6) told me to tell you she likes the purple trees :smile:

9. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hi sommer,

Thanks very much for the kind words - really cool that your little girl liked them too :wink: I got the cam modified with the vision of doing something different indeed... well... if you look at my site, different would be a good word for my work in general, at least for those that want to put it kindly :eek:

Now... if your daughter asks for an IR mod camera as she gets older... I absolve myself from any/all responsibility! :biggrin:

10. Nice. You do make me very jealous of hand-held IR at fast shutter speeds. I wonder if it would help me capture better images, or if the time consuming and deliberate method of setting up the shot before-hand and using a tripod is actually better for me. I really don't know, but sense the freedom you must have now with the new mod. I hope to see more of your examples here.

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    These are so cool Steve! And I am so jealous - I almost want to give my D100 the operation!

Oh, and thanks for the red/blue channel swap secret! Now I know how everybody gets that look! I was worried, cause my ir always comes out red!

12. Chris, next time try custom WB off the grass, with IR filter on camera. You should not see so much red and the color scale is rebalanced.

13. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    I'm sure it's different for everyone, but I find a tripod kind of squashes my creativity... I tend to see/shoot/move on in a fairly brisk manner. It is very freeing indeed, and that suits my style perfectly. I know very well that there are folks that would rather set up a tripod whether they need it for shutter speed or not, which is just fine - it's what works for an individual that counts.

14. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hey Chris,

Thanks very much for the kind words. I did a lot of research on IR and the channel swap thingie was consistant on everything I found. The life pixel instructions page has great how-to's and tips. I also found this photoshop action that switches the channels, but also applies auto levels/colors/contrast as well, which you can modify to taste if you like - I took out the auto functions for another version of the action if I want to tweak those on my own. You can find that here - the download link is at the bottom of the page.

The above suggestion by triangular is a great one to with respect to WB - life pixel sent the cam back with that preset, but at least I know how to get it back if I loose it :eek:)

15. I think my style is much like yours. To be honest, shooting IR is the most I've ever spent time on a tripod. On the other hand, it does cause one to be more careful and deliberate about what they're doing, and sometimes I think it benefits me greatly to have to slow down and think about things more. Still, it is the freedom of being mobile with camera in hand that accounts for a kind of style you see coming through many, many photographs of that nature. Being hand-held also allows a much greater range of discreetness, something you want for street photography (and on the beach!). I was hoping I could shoot hand-held IR with my 2.8 VR lens, and maybe I can in very bright light, but I still can't shoot it like you're doing with your mod. Perhaps when I become more comfortable and familiar with IR I will think about this type of mod for one of my cameras.

16. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    hehehehe.....

Actually, my photography suffers when I think about it :eek: My style is more "drive by" like... I just go with what my eye sees, shoot and move on. My brain usually gets in the way of what my eye is trying to do.

17. You gotta look at Steve's web site.

Steve,
    Good stuff. I recommend all to take a look at you web site. I bet you'll have lotsa IR photos at some point. Hope you're weathering the storms okay.
    Muril :BlueHair:

18. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hi Muril,

First, Rita was a mere inconvenience for us - didn't loose power, not even a blip. My thoughts are with the peope of the gulf coast, as it looks like she may be just as vicious as Katrina was.

I do hope to have lots of IR work up in the coming months. The D70mod will be with me on every trip out, I'm sure. I've only been back to serious photography endevors since Nov. '04, so I still have a lot to learn and a lot of room to grow.

Thanks very much for your kind words and thoughts.

19. Life Pixel turn-around-time

Steve,
    I sent you a PM about turn around time with LifePixel. Your photography convinced me that I had to have the IR mod for my D70.
    Thanks,