Got off to Bear Point today....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Backdoctor, Oct 13, 2005.

1. On the way, osprey everywhere, great sunlight, but I went straight there. While first entering, there was areas in the lagoon with fish swirling about, then all of the sudden all hell breaks loose. It was like out of a science fiction movie, a ring of fish, 25 feet in diameter just flew out just like when a drop of water hits a puddle, it splashes a ring. Only this was a ring of fish leaping out from a preditor, and the rim of the ring was easily over 6 inches tall in fish. It happened a lot all over buy was impossible to capture accurately. Really, video would have done it justice. Here is one frame I tried to get the ring, but was off a little.
    original.

this doesnt even compare to how thick the rim of fish could be, and it happened all over as I walked. I could hear them thru the trees in areas you cant see them directly.

This guy posed so I fired some frames:
    original.

Of course, even though there were no clouds anywhere, one did surface to cover my light, so I started home. I had to pass 3 osprey on trees before seeing this one feasting on a fish. He stopped eating once I stopped but I fired a few anyhow:

original.

Went to the highschool after, but only a few sandhills, and one stork who I posted earlier.

Not a bad day off. :biggrin:

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Harris, need an assistant??

You guys have it way too good. :rolleyes:

3. It's tough down here Frank. Sometimes you have to make choices. Bear Point, Savannah State Preserve, Sandhills at the high school. At times it's very stressing... :cool:

4. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Nice set
    looks like Osprey got plenty to eat
    love them Osprey :biggrin:

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Man, fish leaping out of the water, forming a circle like that must've been an amazing sight to see. Nice shots, all. Good to see you're working my new future favorite spot, and keepng those birds used to seeing us humans. Can't wait to get down there!!!

6. Thanks Ben, there are plenty fish for them to fry down here.. :smile:

7. gonna be the longest 3 wks of someones life.... :cool:

8. WOw that is so cool must have been neat to see, I miss the point.. will be down there soon

9. well, the point and I will be waiting, patiently.... :cool: