Got one By Mistake.....

Discussion in 'People' started by Doug Barber, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Greetings all:
    Here is a shot I did last night. It was as much by mistake as it was good planning.
    The camera just happened to be pointed the way of this little girl and the shutter must have just fired off on it's own.... :lol: :lol:

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    That is a very beautiful image, Doug. Can you take a moment and tell us about the EXIF and what you did in post-processing. That is one of those images that should be enlarged and framed...just beautiful.

3. Thanks Frank:
    First I should say that the camera REALLY did not go off on it's own....
    This little girl is only (4) and really did not want anything to do with me and my (big) camera.
    With that in mind we decided to take a walk to a local park so she could play and I would see if I could get anything.... It was evening so the light was good for this type of thing and I knew the PS treatment I would use if I could get the look I wanted.
    We started out on the swings but they did not work very well. Then she spotted a thing that you stand on and swing around really fast. Sorry I’m not up on all the fancy equipment that they have in parks these days... :lol:
    I positioned myself so I would get the light I wanted on her face and did not worry about the rest of her. I wanted her hair blowing and swirling around as she propelled herself around.
    I set the camera up so it would stop the action and catch her just at the right moment. I think the shutter speed was around 800 and the lens was close to open.
    The PS work I did was sort of planned in advance and I shot the shot knowing what I would do in PS.
    The image was duplicated (3) times and then toned using different color tones. The first one was Sepia, the second was paper toned and finally the last one was worked up in B&W. Then all the different images were layered together and blended back into the original. This gave me the toned look I wanted.
    At this point I blacked out the crap in the background and turned the shot from a basic snap-shot into what you see.
    What I did in PS was simply needed because I could not get the little girl to pose for me at all so I needed to shoot her playing and then work the lighting, toning and feel so I could get a reasonable simulation of a shot that would be taken in a studio.
    Doing it this would not be my first choice by any means but it worked in this case.

Deeper detail could be given if anyone does not uderstand what I did or how I did it!

Hope this helps

4. This is a darling young girl and the way you have chosen to portray her is almost haunting. It's as if she just caught a glimpse of her daddy coming home from work late at night but isn't yet sure it's him. It exhudes a feeling of anticipation as she hangs on the front gate, illuminated by a street light.

Now the color image is fun as well but I don't get the same feeling from that. Good work Doug.

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I have been a member of the Cafe since early May and I am in awe of some of the images that are posted in the various forums. I can take a picture...some good and some not so good...and I am as green as green can be with regard to post-processing. So please excuse me when I offer superlatives when I complement what shooters have set out to do and succeeded. This particular image is just plain perfect in my estimation. The young girl's expression was captured at just the right time and you had the vision and skill to take it the rest of the way in post-processing. Forgive me if I am praising to the extreme, but I really like the image. Job well done and thanks for taking the time to explain what you did.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Another ----WOWOWOWOWOW---- Doug

:>)))

Heck no I don't understand how to do it . Are you kidding :>)))

7. Wow! That sounds like an incredible amount of work for a photo...and so worth it! The color shot of the girl is fabulous...her expression and position are so perfect. And to do what you did in PS.....amazing! You have such great vision to be able to plan all of that out ahead of time. Thanks very much for sharing!

8. Hi Gordon:
    I guess I look at images different than some people who take them...
    In my mind (what there is) I look at a little girl like this and I see a real person who has the ability to "light-up a photo" and tell a story.
    Over the years I have seen so many kid's who just want to express something but have not got the years behind them to allow it to happen.
    It could be a simple as smiling at a parent coming through a door or as dynamic as a sibling not allowing them to take part in something. But at the end of the day they all have WONDERFUL potential to create a dynamic photograph and tell a great story.
    I just try my best to read who they are and what they want to say.... then I pull out my camera and put them into a situation that will allow them to tell the story.
    In this situation, this little girl really wants to be her own person... so when her older brother rode this thing she had to jump on and prove that she could to..... As soon as I saw this happening I new I could get the look I was looking for....
    As for the haunting part.... I guess if one looks at many of my images. They quit often has a haunting mysterious look to them. I find it makes the viewer look a little deeper.

I'm glad you liked the effort....
    Thanks

9. Thanks so Much Frank....
    I'm glad you liked the image and I will try to post some more as time allows.

10. Gale:
    I know you understand everything I wrote and could teach me a thing or two....
    So one of these days i'll show up on your door step to get that leason you have been promising
    also dinner..... :lol: :lol:

11. Hi sommer....
    Thanks for the kind words....
    The planning is the easy part.... The trick is to figure out how to get to where your brain says a shot should be at....lol

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    No problem with the dinner Doug.

But lessons. roflmao. I don't know squat.

Your the one with the vision and wisdom and the Great Mind to express it so well, along with a command over PS.

I love your mind and your photography.......

13. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Whod'a thunk it?

The finished version is so polished, so fine, I would'a never guessed in a million yrs that it was taken in a park. Very well done Doug!

14. Re: Whod'a thunk it?

Thanks Steve:
    It good to have programs like PS when one is faced with images like this. It allows you to shoot were ever one needs to but still have the ability to create a reasonable peice at the end of the day.

15. stm69

stm69

Aug 10, 2005
    Truly amazing..... I like both versions a lot. Sounds like a lot of work, but the end result is oh so worth it!

Sam

16. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    WOW. Incredible PPing on the picture. I would have been happy with the color version but your finished image is a masterpiece IMO. Definitely framing material.

17. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Really good work Doug, having the imagination and forethought to know what you would do in PP. Well done.
    Q. What does the young lady think of her image?

18. Thanks Sam:
    It really is not all that much work once one kind of figures out what they want to do.
    Thanks again for looking in

19. Thanks JayR....
    It seems the more I look at this image the better I like it. But i'm starting to think its to processed. So I started from the original last night to see if I can one without the processed look.
    We will see....
    Thanks again

20. I'm not sure about the little girl but her folks seemed to like it.