1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Got published online, and an interesting camera comparison...

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by jStat, Sep 8, 2008.

1. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    One of my photos from Saturday night's Racine Raiders game made their website, as well as one from each of the other two photographers onfield.
    There was the Team's actual Photographer, myself, and another guy whom I did not recognize.
    In that link, there are the three photos from the game. It creates a very interesting illustration of the comparison of the the three different cameras which were used.

The top photo is mine, which was shot with a Nikon D300, the second, which was shot by the third party, was with a Canon 60D(!), and the third shot was from the Team's Photographer with a Pentax 200D(?).

http://racineraiders.com/show_full.php?subaction=showfull&id=1220837166&archive=&start_from=&ucat=6&

Interesting, isn't it?

2. John, those shots prove 2 things:

1. You are an excellent photographer

2. Nikon is and always will be #1!!!:biggrin:

3. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    Rick, I appreciate the compliments.

4. John, congratulations, well done!

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Congratulations John, I know the excitement of being published and I am thrilled that you are experiencing the same. Well done!

6. john,
    that is awesome
    we are all proud of you

how nice to see your name on that image
    well done

thanks for sharing this with us

7. Definitely the better image of the three. Nice job John.

8. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    john, you definitely got top billing for a reason! nicely done

9. It aint the camera, it's the brain and skill behind it, that's why yours is top shot.

10. Well done John, Lots of people have camera's. . . most dont know how to get the best out of them .. . You do. . Great work .. :cool: 

11. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    Thanks to everyone.

bvon...wise words, my friend.

Frank: Yes, it still is a thrill. The difference between this team and that one newspaper I've had problems with, is that I cannot make a profit on them.
    They're a registered non-profit organization, plus I don't want to rock the boat with them like I unwittingly did a couple years ago.
    Got to get back in good standings.

12. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

Way to go, John. The comparison is that there is no comparison. You nailed a great shot with a great camera and left those guys in behind! Thanks for sharing this!

13. John,

While you have great gear to compare to the others, it's YOUR skill that made it look better. The quality of the finished product is due to the skill of the craftsman. :smile:

14. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Well said Steve. Cream always rises to the top John.

15. I'm gonna get flamed for this, but IMO, sports photography has more to do with gear. Don't get wrong, John is talented, but without good glass and camera body you're not going to get images like his.

So though many of you are right that he has skills, his equipment did most of the work. The third image on that page is excellent, just not real sharp.

16. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

No flame here, as it is true you do need a certain level of equipment to have the potential get those professional images. It's even more important under poor stadium lighting. No f/2.8 lens, and you're going to have a real challenge.

On the flip side, you can have all the top line equipment in the world and still take lousy photos. Skill is always a huge factor, no matter what $10K lens you're using. :wink:

17. Just so you know (in case you didn't, and if you did, I apologize), just about everyone that works full time for a "non-profit" gets paid.

Gary

18. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    Oh yeah?

Huh. Never knew that.

But then, if I wasn't a staff guy and was there specifically for my own agenda, would it make a difference?

19. I agree with this post 100%. In other photographic genres, you can get away with lesser equipment if you have the skills to overcome it, but not sports.

20. Wouldn't really make a difference as long as you understand whats up in regards to their non-profit status.

For instance, I was contacted on behalf of the Donovan McNabb foundation to shoot one of their events in Philly. I was asked to "donate" my services, equipment and consumables. Sounded like something I might be interested in until I found out that the company contacting me was getting paid to organize the event and had a "small" budget to work with.

Gary

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.