Got SB800 today ........... WOW!

I am very impressed with this flash. It makes all the difference
in the world for indoor pics and outdoor closeups. (yes I will post pics when I get them load on net)

I ordered from buydig.com on Monday June 27, paid minimum shipping and got it today.

New Jersey to Colorado in two days for $6.95.

I look forward to learning to use the flash.

Cool!

Just curious, why did you choose the SB800 vs SB600. I have been trying to decide which one to get. I have read lots about both but, I think the SB600 (for me) would work fine. But, I do not have any experience with either. I would be interested in hearing your comments on your decision or anybody who has experience with these flashes.

Thanks.

I bought the SB600. I think the SB800 is more a marketing gimmick than usefulness. Unless you know you'll need the slight power increase with the SB800 go the 600 route. That's what I did, saved about $125 and didn't regret it! =)

The biggest advantage of the SB800 is its ability to act as a master flash in Nikon's Creative Lighting System (wireless). If you have a D70, of course, you can use the on-board flash as a trigger. If you have a D2-series camera, you need the SB800.

So, if I get the SB600 my D70s can trigger it? And can I get both the on-board flash and the SB600(wireless) to fire too? I know, the answer is probably yes.

Ok-I have my sights on my next acquistion an SB600 (and use the difference to get me a 50mm 1.8 :p ). It would be fun to get better with flash photography as I have very little experience in this area. I have learned to use the on-board flash outdoors in fill flash and macro situations. It does make a huge difference sometimes.

On the D70/D70s to force the on-board flash to fire (fill flash) do you have to change from iTTL to manual flash mode. I usually use Aperture Priority but, depending on settings sometimes the flash does not fire. This behavior on the D70s seems to be a little different than my old Olympus 2100.

Thx for the info.

I just recieved my SB600 yesterday and I can say I loved it just playing with it for a bit. Of course, I myself have never used a flash either but considering I don't think I will be going into huge portrait photography with lots of flash I don't think I needed the SB800.

Good luck with your next purchase!!!

Mark,
Don't get teh SB-600 just yet. Couple of things:
1. you can use the onboard flash ont he D70 and a separate flash in tandem, but it is not ideal, it is not the same as the full nikon crteative lighting system, functional but not optimal.

What you really want to do is use your flash on the D70 instead of the pop up, and down the road invest in additional flash units, and really use Nikons CLS.

Granted, you could start with a SB-600 now and later get a SB-800 to be your master, but the SB-800 offers slightly more power, includes a diffuser dome (which you will want to buy for $15 anyway if you don;t get it with the flash), and has a 5-th battery options for faster recycle times (very important).

Anyway, here you only wnat one flash and I am talking about having several down the road, but for hte price, it opens up so many options for your photography. For example, with your two flashes, adding a light stand ($40) SoftlighterII ($50) umbrella bracket ($13) and reflector $10, you know have a portable studio that costs only $100 more and weights 4 lbs, fits in a tote bag. You can also use this stuff to photgraph stuff for ebay for the girlfriend, or bring it to granmas house to take a picture in her parlor, one in which you don;t need a tripod and you light up the alcove .

Anyway, I am telling you this because I spend thousands on bodies and lenses, but the relatively small amount I spent on my 4 SB-800's is nothing compared to what they have opened up for me with my photography.

However, if you pla nto use the difference in the puchase price to fund a 50/1.8, then get that first, everybody needs that lens.

Buy from buydig.com, best prices.

PhotoByMark said:
So, if I get the SB600 my D70s can trigger it? And can I get both the on-board flash and the SB600(wireless) to fire too? I know, the answer is probably yes.

The D70s will trigger the SB600 wirelessly, but the onboard does not contribute to the exposure.

I have a similar setup to what Twig has. Mine consists of 1 SB800 and 3 SB600's that I use as a portable studio with softboxes. Only the SB800 can be a master and the SB600 does not have SU-4 mode. There is more to the SB800 than just a little more power.

M

marc

wow

sb800, is the full feature, full power flash

the sb 600 has less power and is meant to be the slave

nikon discussed this, when the two flashes, were first introduced.

i know 150.00 is a lot of money, but you get what you pay for
nothing wrong with sb600, it is not meant to be primary

sb800, is not a gimmick?

Just curious, why did you choose the SB800 vs SB600.

Sorry been out of town. I bought the SB800 after researching
the two flashes. I think the SB600 is a fine flash, but I have a
tendency to go for the high price. LOL

I actually bought it for down the road when I get the D2X.

Thanks for the responses.

I too prefer to go for the better but.....$$$

However, in this case it seems the general opinion is to get SB800 first. I will do that.

I have the SB-800 well 2 of them..

I had a SB-80DX that went down on a job
for the second time. I used my backup SB-26
it worked OK
The next afternoon i had another job so I had to
buy a new flash locally Ritz SB-800 for 429. They
said they would match price anyone local. Hmmmm
Calumet did not have it instock but $379 at the time.

My broken SB-80Dx was fixed a month b4 and
I took it to nikon to get rerepaired.... :(
A week later when P.U. the repair... I went outside to check
it did not work. I went back insideand they have repaired this flash 3x b4.... They asked what would I like.

SB-800 please

They said 80DX have has lots of problem and a short life
on the Nikon line up

Latest threads

Top Bottom