1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured Got The Cover Of Air & Space Magazine!

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by McQ, Sep 27, 2018.

1. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

So excited to be able to share this news. Three of my photos will be in the November issue of Smithsonian Air & Space Magazine, and one of them is the cover photo.

Lancaster County Airport (right around the corner from my house) has an air show called Community Days, every other summer. In 2015, a pilot named Randy Ball was there with his MiG-17.

My friend, Dan Myers, also a photographer, runs the control tower there, so he and I always have the run of the airport for the Friday practice day and both Saturday and Sunday. Nice to be able to be guaranteed a spot by the Air Boss at show center!

Anyway, he and I got a bunch of nice MiG-17 shots back then. Fast forward to a couple months ago, when he noticed on Randy Ball's Facebook page a request asking people to upload any nice photos of his plane to a link he provided, as Air & Space Magazine was going to be doing a feature on the MiG. Maybe people could get their photos in a major publication. Dan uploaded a few photos, then emailed me about it, knowing I got some nice shots as well, so I uploaded four photos.

A few weeks ago I was contacted by the Art Editor for Air & Space, telling me three of my photos are in the article and that I had gotten the cover. Woot!

So, anyway, here they are. This is the mockup of the article and cover that the art editor sent me of the November issue. And as a bonus, my buddy Dan got the two page spread in the feature; that's his photo going across the airfiledwith the shadow of the plane on the runway (he was perched atop the rotating beacon!).

Yes, we got paid. This wasn't someone asking for photos in return for "exposure".

Enjoy!

Tight crop of the original of the eventual cover photo:

_MCQ8485A.
    NIKON D3S    ---    500mm    f/10.0    1/1000s    ISO 200

The two other photos in the feature:

_MCQ8384A.
    NIKON D3S    ---    500mm    f/10.0    1/1000s    ISO 200

_MCQ8347A.
    NIKON D3S    ---    500mm    f/18.0    1/250s    ISO 200

Mockup of the cover from Air & Space (uncropped):

Cover.

Mockup of the article, with Dan's photo on the left:

feature[1].

• Winner Winner x 14
    • Like Like x 7
  2. OrvSal

OrvSal

Nov 8, 2006
    Carlsbad, Ca.
    WOW! Congrats on the cover photo and getting recognized for your excellent coverage of the Mig. And a check for it doesn't hurt either.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Phenomenal shots Glenn - congratulations on the cover as well!

(How many copies will you have framed and hanging on your walls? I'd have one in every room!! :D )

Sean

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. McQ

Lol! It’s going to be a contest between my buddy, Dan, and me to see who can clean out the magazine racks at Barnes and Noble! I’ve got two spots for the issue on my walls picked out: one in the theater room/basement and one in my office. My wife says that if I’m not obnoxious about it I can put one in the family room.
    Thanks! Still so excited to finally see the actual issue on newsstands.

5. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Glad to see this come to fruition. Well done! Congrats!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. Wow congratulations. You deserve it as these are terrific shots.

7. McQ

Thank you, Wade!

Thank you, James!

8. A huge congratulations to you and to your friend Dan! Terrific photos, and it's easy to see why they chose the one did for the cover. Excellent work, just great!!!

9. JW53

JW53

Jan 21, 2006
    Johns Creek, Ga
    Congrats, wonderful images.

10. bett

bett

Mar 31, 2007
    New Hampshire
    How cool! Congratulations!

11. McQ

Thanks, Connie!

Thank you, John!

Thank you, Roger!

12. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    +1 to the well-deserved kudos McQ

13. McQ

Thank you, Bill.

14. Congratulations on the cover! Also nice to see the old D3S still being capable as ever! (y)

15. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

AWWWESOME!!!!!

Congratulations, Glenn, and those photos (and Dan's) are definitely magazine worthy. Well done!! (y)

16. Congratulations!! Your talent shines!!!

17. Congrats Glenn, a stellar set of pics, so sharp well done.

18. That is great! And so are your pictures! Wow!

19. eric d.

eric d.

Apr 19, 2018
    Germany
    Eric
    Hello, also congrats from me for your amazing work. Yes, this pictures are really worth to come on the cover of a magazine.
    outstanding cover picture, also the others, thumbs up from me ! !!!

20. Congrats. Well done.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.