Got the funds for d700. now what?

finally got the funding for the d700. I have been debating this for the past week, and have seen the price go up also. 17th st photo had it for $2229.00 about a week ago, but now its close to $2700.00. Should I just order it? SERIOUSLY, how long till the d700 replacement comes out? I should have ordered it at $2229 right?

If you want one, you really ought to go-ahead and do it after you shop around a bit. The D700 and undoubtedly it's eventual replacement are made at Nikon Sendai. Speculation aimed a possible mid-late summer release (but this was only based on rumor). It'll be a while before Nikon Sendai goes back into operation on any significant level in addition to their supply partners. In short, Nikon's high end lenses and bodies are going to be in short supply (very short supply) for a while. This means prices on available stock will also go up. The D700 is a superb camera. I hope to be able to keep mine long after I get whatever replaces it, as a newer one can only be an incremental improvement (but I want video, too). You might even consider picking up a used one to keep in the interim if you can't get a new one at an acceptable price. Either way, once you get one and start shooting with it you'll quickly forget what you paid for it...

If you need one now; it's a no brainer.

Looking back; If I had waited when rumours were abound about the d700's replacement 1.5yrs ago.. I'd still be without a FF body :)

Get one! I'm getting one as well :) I wouldn't wait for its replacement because it's more than enough for my needs. If you find it fits you then it's definitely worth it.

Make sure you have enough funds for pro lenses as well ;) I wouldn't want any cheap lenses on my D700 :p

I'd definetly get one --- you won't regret it ...
however I'd do alot of looking first .... this spike in prices may or maynot last .... they went up fast and in a couple weeks might settle back down ... who knows ...
Personally I'd have some problems with those retailers that have jacked up the price ... I think I'd pass them by IF you can find one cheaper ... reminds me of the gas stations --- something happens in the mid-east and up goes the gas prices at the pump almost immediately ...

Obviously you could also looked at used --- bought mine used and no problems but you need to do your homework on the seller ....

ron

I have been doing A LOT of research. That price at amazon..... raised up to 2,649. I did find the best deal at jr.com for I think around 2,300 but the website says sold out of course. The funny thing is that I did a nextag search and the prices listed was not the actual prices on the website. I guess they did not update the nextag price yet. I would buy used, but like hokeyron said, research the seller. Sadly, there are no local ones for sale on craigslist also. The local brick and mortar store says they should have some coming in next week and they have the price listed at 2,699. It does not help also that I am a very impatient person. Last time I ordered somthing from amazon, I would literally stand up every time I hear something that resembles the sound of a delivery truck!

I was going to wait on the D700 replacement, but after the earthquake, I decided to go for it now. I lucked out, as ordered my D700 from B&H the day before the prices went up. I have no regrets about not waiting for the "replacement", as I really wanted to go full frame before my vacation in May. So far, I have to agree with everyone else. It really is a great camera. :smile:

Real Name
Doug
That rebate doesnt really save you money because B&H is charging $300 more for the the D7000.

Actually, B&H and Amazon and other on line merchants recently (in the past couple of days) raised prices on a number of Nikon camera bodies. The rebate is still a savings because the body-only price has gone up and will likely stay higher for a while due to the disaster in Japan. Frankly, I am surprised that the rebate remained in effect as long as it did.

I think the availability of the D700 is limited at best. Two weeks prior to the disaster in Japan, Adorama and B&H started raising their prices for it. Also, there were comments from various EU retailers about no more currently available from Nikon. If Nikon was winding down production before the earth quake, I can see where we will have no D700s soon.

Latest threads

Top Bottom