Got the Nikon R1C1 kit

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Beezle, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Got the R1C1 Close-up Speedlight Remote Kit today.

At BH here.

Very surprised in that it includes more stuff than I knew and comes in a very nice, large padded box with compartments for all gear. Even includes room for a third flash and its accessories.

I managed to figure out how everything works, but it will take some time to actually cause a decent image to be created with it. :rolleyes: My curiousity is mostly in portraits, but of course I will be pointing it at some flowers soon.

Only caveats so far are the need to buy umpteen CR123A batteries (had a dozen anyway) and the necessity of an additional $50 adapter to use the ring on the 60mm macro.

2. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    Cool. I have been trying to find out some info on the R1C1. Unfortunately, Nikon does not seem to have the manual available for download yet on their site. According to the B&H web site product description, there is no variable output control when using the flash in manual mode. Is that true? Are iTTL, TTL, etc. the only way to use this flash for close subjects? It appears that the only way to control lighting ratios with this flash, say combined with an off-camera SB-800, is to use EV compensation in one of the auto modes. That makes absolutely no sense to me. What does the manual say? Can you confirm my speculation? Thanks.

3. Actually, the SU800 has two major modes, changed with a tiny switch behind the battery door.

"Closeup" mode only controls two flash groups and their ratios. You can also do everything manually. Pretty much the same as the SB800, but with a handy ratio mode (vs. exposure compensation) if you want to use it.

In "commander" mode, it appears the SU800 is as capable as the SB800 is remote wise. Three groups, manual, TTL, etc. etc.

PS, I am going to try a 3 x SB800, 1 x SB600, 2 x SBR200 and 1 x SU800 + two softboxes a softlighter and a few diffuser panels this weekend. Just to see how it all works. I'll report back.

4. There is also an EV for the ratio mode, I guess applied to A and B as a whole. Just reading the manual.

Also confirmed that in commander mode, there are individual EVs for each group, etc.

5. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    That makes more sense. Fine control over macro lighting can sometimes be difficult with flash, so more adjustment options are good. I would be interested in hearing your impressions after you have used the R1C1 a bit. Thanks.

6. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I'm also interested in seeing your results. Keep us posted.

7. Beez, it sounds like you are going to have a fireworks show! How did you figure all this out so quickly? I thought the adapter rings that came with the package could support all Nikon lenses. I got to see the R1C1 (really nice storage box) at Keeble & Shuchat when the Nikon rep was there last month. Would love to have you show us your setup as well as the results.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

8. Just so you know one of the cheapest and reliable places on the net to buy CR123 batteries is from the flashlight company www.surefire.com Excellant prices compared with buying at any store front in my area by far.

9. I'm sure I have a long way to go so far as using them effectively. I have been happy with some of the flower stuff I've done, but most of them are lit with LED flashlights. I am just beginning to try to get a firm grip on using flashes.

But I see these great portraits or interiors done with umpteen flashes and light modifiers and I think "how the heck did they do that?" followed by "I want to be able to do that!"

I'm figuring it will take quite a while to learn.

10. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Hi Beezle,

I'm curious, would you mind posting a pic of the R1C1 kit? Your description above (padded box, etc) is much more than I expected.

Secondly, I'm not sure I understand why you would need an adapter to use the 60mm micro. Don't the flashes attach to a ring connected to the lens like a filter on the front of the lens?

11. The reason they do not want you to mount the ring on the filter threads of the 60 is that barrel apparently cannot take the weight. Particularly if you were to autofocus since that lens' barrel moves in and out.

The adapter they sell mounts the ring to the fixed outter barrel of the lens.

I just took a few snaps of the kit for you and will post them in a moment.

12. First you see the R1C1 box. It is about 16-18 inches wide.
    r1c1-1.

When you open the lid, you see a diffuser and place for the manual in the lid. Then an inner lid with a flexible arm for holding the diffuser.
    r1c1-2.

Open the inner lid and you see the compartments for the goodies. By row:

1. the flash adapter ring. The flashes mount to this ring.
    2. gels for each flash. Two for flourescent and incadescent and red and blue.
    3. the SU800.
    4. gel/diffuser adapters for the flash heads.

Middle
    1. empty slot for a 3rd flash filled with bags.
    2. & 3. flash heads.
    4. "extreme closeup" diffusers that mount on the heads via the gel adapters.
    5. a small shield you mount in the hot shoe of cameras that have a built in flash that blocks that flash.

Bottom
    1 ~ 6. lens adapter rings. The flash adapter ring mounts to these after they are screwed into the end of a lens. Five sizes included in the kit.

Also note another empty slot for a 3rd flash's diffuser.

And note that out of sight at the very bottom is a thin row for the flash stands. Two included for each flash head. These stands aren't the same as those included with the SB800, etc. as these flash heads do not have a standard hot shoe.

r1c1-3.

13. madone

madone

Jan 9, 2006
    Connecticut
    Thanks for hte info. Keep us posted on your impressions, output, etc.

I have the Kit on order and can't wait. I have been wanting a Macro Flash system for so long.

The Battery choice, it not my favorite..BUT i did find a pretty good deal at this place.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/rarlulphliba.html

I order a 50pk, so that should be good for a while. After shipping they were aroudn 1.50 each. According to the website and the info I can find, most 123a batteries are 1300mAh, where as these Rayovac are 1400mAh. Not sure it that's just hype, but for the cost they seemed like a good deal.

14. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Impressive kit Beezle. Thanks for posting! This is much more than I expected (a styrofoam box). It looks like Nikon has done a good job with this macro kit.

Do you have any pics to share yet?