Got through the 7 wk old twins shoot (barely)

This was a grueling 3 hr session, with several stops for feedings, diaper changes, and general soothing & calming by the mom. She wanted to get shots of them together, but most of them were not keepers. One of them always seemed to fuss when they were put next to each other.
Would like some feedback on these 3 shots.
Jenna-Kiss
Jenna-Kiss-Crop-Web_2028.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Michael Hug
Mike-Hug-Crop_2039.jpg

Twins
Bowen-Twins_1983.jpg

Ah, such sweet little souls!

Don't know if you are going to shoot them again, but an idea to think about....My sister-in-law had twins and had them photographed at about that same age(they are almost 4years old now). The photographer tried something interesting that I hadn't thought of. Ask the mother what position they were in while in-utero...head to head...head to toe...belly to belly....belly to back....Then put them in that position and try shooting. It's a position that they would be most used to (having spent 9 months in).

Also, was the room really warm? If not, babies get cranky when they are cold...A space heater in the general vicinity of the babies will keep them warmer when all them have on is a diaper. You'll sweat like the dickens, but it might help.

BTW, from those shots, you did well. I love the first shot...

The first one is precious and a wall hanger for sure. You have done very well with these images Steve. The skin tones, focus and composition are all excellent.

The first one is really nice though it's a shame her hair is hanging down over her eye. The last one is adorable. My brother and a friend of mine both had babies in the last year, so I've taken some pictures with them (although not quite as young as yours here). Just getting one baby posed and getting pictures before he/she gets cranky can be quite a challenge. so I can just imagine what it was like working with twins.

Thanks Leigh, Gordon, Jeff,

I think that's a very good idea, Leigh. I'll run it by her. Thanks Gordon, & Jeff, she didn't want to be in these shots at all, but I convinced her to try these shots with her back turned toward the camera. fyi, a single med softbox used for lighting.
Also, I did a WB preset using an Expodisc, but still had to tone down the reds a teense in NC4.

Ah Terrific. Taking photos of babies is one of the toughest jobs.

These will give many pleasant memories to the parents for a LONG time. well done.

Latest threads

Top Bottom