1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Got to play with one @ Circuit City tonight.

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by jStat, Sep 14, 2008.

1. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    The local CC had one, so, being the ultra curious equipment guy, I picked it up and played with it as long as I could.

I couldn't access the Movie Mode. I thought it might have been in the Shooting Mode selector, a'la a P&S, but it wasn't. I then looked in the menus, but couldn't figure out how to get to it in the time I had.

AF seemed sluggish, at least with the Kit lens it had with it. It felt similar to the D40/D60 instead of the D80. Sports Mode AF-C tracking didn't seem as fast as my D80's.

IQ seemed pretty good, considering where this camera is at in the current lineup.

Ergonomics were good, and an improvement over the D80. Weight was also increased, naturally, with the HD Video processing Hardware.

Overall, I was disappointed, but didn't have enough time to make it very worthwhile. I'm going to Milwaukee tomorrow and to the camera shop up there to play with it more.

Maybe they'll have a D700 I can play with.:biggrin::cool: 

2. To get into movie mode, first go into live view, and click the OK button to record. Click the OK button again to stop recording.

I have to agree the AF of the kit lens seems a little sluggish.

3. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    I was in Ritz playing wiht one on friday, i did like the increased weight of it and you are right it is alot easier to use the functions and whatnot, i didnt get into the movie part of it as i really didnt care. I did like the VR feature of the lense however.

4. AF with the kit lens = fail.

5. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI

'Bout says it all.

6. I played with one in Best buy last week and thought it focused pretty well. I'm going to test it a little more thoroughly at Ritz when they get one.

7. It works, I just wasn't too thrilled with it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.