got to play with some big ticket items today (canon)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by DrewC, Jun 26, 2007.

1. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    the canon rep came in the shop today, to display some of the neat stuff he had... and all i can say is... wow, i've never held so much money in my hands at one time...

all in all i got to play with a

1Ds Mk III with some AMAZING lenses!!!

first off, the beautiful (and huge) 50mm 1.2... all i can say is WOW...
    then the 300 2.8 IS... again, wow... (surprisingly lightweight... kinda)
    and finally, my favorite of the bunch...

85mm 1.2... absolutely gorgeous glass... i still love my nikon stuff, but it was pretty cool to hold this stuff in my hands...

anyways, thats all
    -drew

2. TopGear

TopGear

Mar 16, 2006
    Oh man... You can't mention Canon on this forum. Don't you know that?

Oh shoot! Now I did it!

I didn't mean it! Please don't ban me for saying the C word! It's Drew's fault! Ban him! Ban him!

3. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    ha, and to think, i referred my friend (who shoots canon...) to come here since i couldn't find her a better forum to be a part of... i guess i gotta tell her the bad news...

4. I am in love with the 50/85 1.2... how did they feel? Too big? Did you shoot any with the MKIII? I'd love to know how you reacted to Canon equipment, being a Nikon shooter yourself. If you shot on the 50, how did the IQ compare to your 50?

5. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    hey, your from MN too! they were very wide diameter... much bigger than i'd think... but on such a large body, they balanced nicely. still... they were massive compared to my 50 1.4...

in terms of image quality, i cant say anything... while i would imagine they are amazing in that department too... i have no test shots... just usin the rep's card and nothin good to shoot at anyways

10fps was pretty cool, sounds like a machine gun... the body felt nice to, but the buttons were all different (even from other canon's...) i'm used to the XTi, and the 30d... this was a merge between the both (in terms of controls) and confused me at first. the "straight through" menu system of the 30d is gone, but there are SO many menu options, which means they probably HAD to.

what surprised me is i actually liked the live preview... (for critical work)
    the mirror locks up out of the way, and you get your live preview (which you can still manual focus) and while manual focusing, you can choose between a 1x view, a 5x view, or a 10x view (for REAL critical focusing) and it SHOULD be sharp as a tack... since the mirror is locked up. (and it'll still do 10fps in live view mode)

any more questions, just ask
    -drew

6. TopGear

TopGear

Mar 16, 2006
    Apparently you don't understand. You can't say that word here now.

I'm reporting you to the authorities.

I just called 911.

I've been arrested.

7. hey you're from Duluth! both of my brothers live there... students at the U of M. Duluth is a great city...
    Thanks for the quick reply. I just love to hear about these lenses as they are kind of my dream lenses... I wish Nikon would make some beasts like Canon does.
    Per the MKIII, the live view interests me. What you were saying about the 1x, 5x and 10x is actually pretty cool if you were to shoot macro or anything that needed that critical focus.
    10 FPS... yeesh...

8. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I'M a UMD STUDENT! oh my gosh! ha, what are they studying? i'm doing graphic design and photography... wouldn't it be weird if i knew them? i also work at the camera shop up here "First Photo"

9. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    and i'm still more excited for my F4s to show up than i ever will be about a MKIII... (unless we're talkin Mortal Kombat 3)

10. nykonian

nykonian

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Canon is just another photographic tool. What's wrong with that? I've been a Nikon shooter since I was introduced to photography by a friend (Canon user), but I like what he could do with his Canon. Well, Nikon still rocks :)

11. ooh f4s.. nice buy. im happy with my f100. do you know a nick karlisch? or pete? the first one is an electrical engineer or something? the latter is doing psych. anywho, i'm at school at the college of visual arts here in st paul for photography as well.
    likewise i am kinda (alot) jealous of your new 60mm.
    and yeah mortal kombat III was quite good. not as good as MKII though ;)

12. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    i was thinking of heading down to the cities and living with a buddy of mine to attend the college of visual arts... how do you like it? i suppose the design/photo program here is okay, but i'm convinced half my class doesnt quite know what aperture means yet... (goin on my jr. year)

and yeah, i really really cant wait for my f4 and 60mm to show up... i just gotta figure out how i'm payin' off my new found debt! lol

okay! so... back on track... yeah, the canon's produce real nice images, and if it werent for it just not feeling right in my hand (and my starting out with nikon film cameras) i'd certainly entertain the idea... but surely not any of the gear i handled today... my car is worth half of any single item i picked up today while the rep was in town!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2007
  13. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL

Maybe your reference to being banned from the Cafe for talking about Canon products is an attempt at humor, but I have to admit it is getting rather old. No one will be banned for talking about Canon or any other brand of camera. I hope that I have clarified any of your concerns guys.

14. oh man.. i'm very sorry to hear that. you should come down to cva, it's a pretty good little school. in a really nice area too. a little on the expensive side, but that's to be expected. just hope some your credits transfer, the first year is all foundations and it is pretty challenging.

speaking of debts, i'm wrestling with the idea to buy (charge) a used nik 180 f/2.8 or tam 90 f/2.8... we'll see how that one works out.

but yes, getting back to the subject, i would definitely buy a MKIII and 50 f/1.0 and 85 f/1.2... if i had the money. but i don't, and i might never. nikon is working just fine for me, for now. gotta love canon for it's high-iso performance though...

15. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    oh... and speaking of those two lenses... both pretty great... the 90 macro is a wonderful one (which i think theres a thread in the for sale forum on here for $300) ... you dont get "classified privelages" for a little while still...

and the 180 2.8... while still a great lens, i dont think you'll see a big enough difference between that and the 80-200 2.8 (image quality wise) to justify price/practicality... somethin to consider

16. damn, i wish i had access to that because i would totally be interested in taking that off his/her hands. i've heard great things about the tam 90.

i agree with you about the 80-200, but the 180 is cheaper. i was also thinking of the 300 f/4 but f/4 seems sooo slow.

17. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    what camera are you using? 2.8 vs. 4 isn't all that slow if you have the luxury of a decent ISO camera... or if you're using film, there are some nice 400's and 800's too...

18. would be using my d80 or d50 or f100. i'm sure i could manage easily with f/4 in decent light.. i just gotta get off this 'i need < f/2.8' thing, but it's so hard.

19. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    yeah, uppin' the iso shouldnt be an issue, but fast glass is so beautiful... haha

20. I'm also from MN, but I recently moved away :redface:

I have played with the MKIII and a few of the premium L lenses. To be honest, I wasn't extremely impressed. They're nice but if I wanted to shoot with a chunky AF camera, I was much much happier on an F6. The glass from both companies is good enough; I just happen to prefer old (and cheap) manual focus stuff. No, I won't get 10fps with my motorless F3, but I'll have more fun getting 1fp10s anyway. Sure, I think to continue competition in the future, Nikon needs to step up to the plate and start producing some new high-end stuff...but that doesn't mean I'll use it or especially like it.

People tend to worship things they don't need (or often even want) because it costs more money and has a lot of "gadget" factor. Whenever I get into a conversation about favorite cameras...so many people start talking about Hassy digital...which I tend to think is simply because it's expensive. Sure, there are people who swear by digital medium format, but it's really a tool that's not designed for all photographers. Photography doesn't need to be a case of "if you are serious, you spend more money" like so many novices (and even professionals) think.