Got to see an old friend...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Backdoctor, Jul 28, 2005.

1. decided to go home on the road by the local high school and look who I ran into...

This is taken at 400iso at 1/160th sec. out of my car window. Shoulda pushed the iso more cause there is slight motion blur. Wish I had brought my flash and better beamer. All I had was the H and the ol 300 f4 with 1.4x on. Shoulda taken that off for an extra stop:
    original.
    Date/Time 28-Jul-2005 18:34:14
    Make Nikon
    Model NIKON D2H
    Flash Used No
    Focal Length 420 mm
    Exposure Time 1/160 sec
    Aperture f/5.6
    ISO Equivalent 400
    Exposure Bias -2/3
    White Balance (4)
    Metering Mode matrix (5)
    JPEG Quality (6)
    Exposure Program aperture priority (3)

here's an earlier photo for those that havent seen it in younger days on 3/13/05, just about 4.5 months ago:

original.

my how he's grown. You can see the red starting on the head.

there was a cluster of 8-10 in one of the retention ponds, and once again, I didnt push the iso high enough, no monopod but sort of a neat full frame shot:
    original.

hows this for 1/80th second handheld at 420mm?
    original.

and one cute snowy to boot, there were lots of birds here, but I ran out of light. Shoulda pushed the iso more.
    original.

I've taken better images, but had to shoot SOMETHING on my day off!

2. Hands of stone you are the handholding king the last group shot is very sharp

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Wow, it's gotten so big!

Pretty grand discovery to find the baby now all grown up. I know it's hard to tell if an image is really sharp in the LCD, but I really don't understand why so were reluctant to go above ISO 400. I routinely shoot @ISO 800. That 4th shot is pretty sharp though, esp at such a slow shutter? nice going Harris.

4. Re: Wow, it's gotten so big!

Steve. I was so excited to see him, I figured 400iso was enough. didnt really look at the shutter speed. Shoulda bumped to 800iso

5. jaminphoto

jaminphoto

Jul 7, 2005
    SF Bay area
    The baby pictures are so beautiful.

--ricardo

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice series Harris. Glad to see that at least one of the babies has made it this far. It's incredible how fast they grow just eating grubs. 8)