Gotta Have More Zoommm!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vandyu, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Went into the back yard today with my new D50 and shot some squirrels (really wanted to use live ammo, though)! Boy, I have to get a zoom lens today. The only thing I really miss about the Panasonic FZ20 is that 12X zoom lens. But, I knew there were trade offs, so now I've got to reach into my pocket and get a telephoto zoom. Ritz is holding the companion lens to the kit lens for me--the 55-200. Should I spring for it for $249? Or is there a better walking around lens that has lots of zoom, light weight (generally speaking), and, oh yes, a small price tag (I hear you guys chuckling now) :lol:

2. I see you are from my part of the world. If I were in your shoes I would look closely at the 70-300D series nikon lens. It is avail from B&H for around 280.00 and will get you off to a decent start.
    For 280.00 you can also buy a used 12guage and a box of shells and take close up shots later.

3. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA

4. I am not sure what does and does not work on the E series. Your manula for the camera will tell you if AF or metering is affected. The d series and g series are ideal for your camera. Chesterfield towne center had the 70-300 in stock the last time i checked. you will not likely like the reach of the 55-200 if you want to pursue nature. just my opinions but I have bought many lenses thinking I would be happy and was not.

5. what link??

6. Dave,

I know exactly what you are talking about. I retired my Olympus 2100 which had a 10x (28-280) zoom and VR for my new D70s. I miss the reach because I do enjoy outdoor photography and wildlife. I am in the delimma of saving up for some pro grade zoom or primes or going for a lower end zoom to get me by for awhile.

BTW-Option 2 (the shotgun/shells) is pretty funny.

7. saw the link and yes that is it. The negatives that are brought up are true for the most part but if this is your budget it will do quite well until you sort out what your really need. most glass to do the job on nature subjects will cost 1000 and up. but do not let this discourage you.

8. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Sorry about having to edit the post. I forgot the link and then put it in. I guess I'll go over to CTC and see what Ritz has. I appreciate your help. I'll probably just keep the FA and its lenses separate from the D50. Now I'll have to make myself fire up the FA once in a while to see if I can still use it. Kind of like learning to drive a stick when you're a kid and then driving an automatic til you're 60 and trying to switch back. My left knee still works, but don't know about my patience!

9. Mark, glad you spied option 2, thanks. your dance hall shot was pretty nice that I saw earlier.
    Vandyu- let me know what you end up with.

10. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    One last question, Dave. For the heck of it I put my 70-210 on the FA and went into the yard a minute ago. Tried to get a frame of a robin and I see what you mean. The robin was probably 30 feet away and even at full zoom I couldn't get what I wanted in terms of closeness. So, you think despite the rather negative review of the 70-300, I would be happier with the telephoto aspect since I'm shooting for pleasure only.

11. Right. that is exactly right.

12. if you can afford in the 500-600.00 range sigma has a 135-400 that may even suit you more. we may have to do this by phone if you want PM me and I will give you a number to reach me.

13. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Series E lenses

Your series E lens is a consumer version of the AIS lenses. It will work on the D50 (and the D70) but only in manual. That is manual everything - focussing, setting of aperture (on the lens) and setting of speed (on the camera). It's back to the good ole days - but can be a lot of fun. If you are prepared to go that route, then you can look at the 300/4.5 EDIF AIS. It goes at a reasonable price nowadays (check on KEH). That way you get phenomenal quality cheaply, but at the price of going manual.

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
  15. Przemek

Przemek Guest

I would also take a close look at the 28-200mm Nikkor. Owning the 70-300mm D (ED) lens, I must say that it is a fine lens but a very slow focuser with a rotating front. It will take it 3-4 seconds to focus from infinity to a nearby subject on the D70.

It is definitely too slow focusing for animals that are moving quickly, unless you are lucky. I know you want to enjoy your new camera as soon as possible with a long zoom, but perhaps saving money for a better tele lens would be prudent.

Kind Regards,
    Przemek

16. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA

17. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA

18. kg74

kg74 Guest

I would go with the Sigma 70-300 APO II, make sure its a "II". Great lens, light and has wonderful macro functions.

Needs to be stopped down a little. Slower than 2.8s, but much less money.

19. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    I'm having the problem I'm sure many people are--the lens I want isn't the lens I can afford right now. I was leaning toward the 28-200 as an interim lens until Nikon announces the next DX series telephoto zooms. But, I was strongly advised against it by a local photo shop because it performs poorly in low light situations and cannot autofocus well.

I find the D50 to be a great little camera for what I want, but the kit lens, 18-55 and the bigger 55-200 zoom, are definitely not designed for people who like to manually focus. The focus ring is practically non-existent--hard to find and hard to use. The 18-70 is definitely the way to go as a basic lens whether you buy the D50 or D70. But, since I already have the 18-55 and want a 70-300 and don't quite like the functional design of the 70-300ED, I'm kind of scratching my head saying "Where do I go from here?" I appreciate your suggestion.

20. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    Actually the Sigma lens is pretty darn good. I borrowed a Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DL Super Macro lens for a few months. I just purchased a new Nikon 70-300mm ED f/4-5.6. It is interesting to note that the APO II version should be much better than the Sigma I tested.

I did some quick tests and it showed that optically (not considering potential flare like situations where the ED might help), they were similar, if not identical down to the bokeh.

Surprisingly, the Sigma lens FOCUSED FASTER than my Nikkor lens. It was a very rough test, but I would say about 0.7 seconds and both were set to the default spot.

I would guess this is because the Nikkor lens has that extra ED element, but the Nikkor lens is lighter since it does not have a Macro Element like the Sigma does!

I was pretty surprised at this. Plus the old Sigma lens has nice markers denoting magnification on the lens barrel whereas the Nikkor did not.

One big drawback to the Sigma though is that the zoom ring is stiff. The Nikkor's Zoom ring is very smooth. In fact, it is almost too smooth since you can easily end up extending the lens just by pulling it out. I didn't notice any zoom creep though but I'll let you know if I see it.

If I had to do it again, what would I do? I think I would still go with the Nikon because I like recomposing quickly with the zoom and a stiff lens just makes that really hard. A stiff lens stops me from putting a consistent amount of force and having the zoom ring respond accordingly. I heard that over time the Sigma lens' stiffness will go away though. Although a stiffer zoom ring will give you the benefit that it will never extend on you when you pull it out of your bag.

As for slower focusing, I am trying to learn how to flip that AF/Manual switch a bit more to do some pre-focusing to help speed up my focus on fast moving objects. I'll let you know how it turns out but I have gotten lucky with some pictures.