1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Gotta love smugmug

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phillip Ino, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    They now provide unlimited storage of the following types of files:

"RAW, TIFF, PDF, PSD—almost any files you can imagine. Including videos. Even Word and Excel files."

This is a big plus!

http://www.smugmug.com/price/smugvault.mg

2. WOW! They have always been good folk but this is GREAT!

3. Sort of.

All they're doing is providing an interface to amazon.com's on-line storage. It isn't part of your normal fees, it costs $.22/gb/month. To store a full 4gb CF card of .nef files will cost about $10.56/year (for example) plus the $12/year charge. It'll cost $1.20 to upload that 4gb, and if you want to retrieve it later it'll cost you $2.04 to do.

I like smugmug, a lot. I'm not knocking them for doing this because it's a decent interface to an existing, reliable service. But honestly, this was available for a long time already - at still is (at a lower cost to boot).

4. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Yes, hence the use of the word "provide", rather than "include"
    Still a nice option IMO :smile:

5. Those interested in this may also want to check out jungledisk, which also uses the Amazon S3 back-end storage cloud. I've been using it for a few months to store my masters. Storage and data transfer prices are lower. Granted, I'm not a smugmug user, so maybe they have built a nice interface that makes it slick and easy to use ( jungledisk isn't complicated, but can be a bit rough to use).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.