Gotta love smugmug

They now provide unlimited storage of the following types of files
Sort of.

All they're doing is providing an interface to amazon.com's on-line storage. It isn't part of your normal fees, it costs $.22/gb/month. To store a full 4gb CF card of .nef files will cost about $10.56/year (for example) plus the $12/year charge. It'll cost $1.20 to upload that 4gb, and if you want to retrieve it later it'll cost you $2.04 to do.

I like smugmug, a lot. I'm not knocking them for doing this because it's a decent interface to an existing, reliable service. But honestly, this was available for a long time already - at still is (at a lower cost to boot).

Sort of.

All they're doing is providing an interface to amazon.com's on-line storage. It isn't part of your normal fees, it costs $.22/gb/month. To store a full 4gb CF card of .nef files will cost about $10.56/year (for example).
Yes, hence the use of the word "provide", rather than "include"
Still a nice option IMO :smile:

Those interested in this may also want to check out jungledisk, which also uses the Amazon S3 back-end storage cloud. I've been using it for a few months to store my masters. Storage and data transfer prices are lower. Granted, I'm not a smugmug user, so maybe they have built a nice interface that makes it slick and easy to use ( jungledisk isn't complicated, but can be a bit rough to use).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom