Gotta love VR!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Jose Suro, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Hi All,

I love VR! I took this image at 400mm while this skimmer flew by at warp speed, using just 1/250 second exposures at ISO 400. If you look closely you'll see the water splashes around the bird trailing in very thin lines. This means the camera moved about two inches during the exposure! The rest of the splashes on the surface of the water are from bait fish getting the heck out of Dodge :biggrin:.

Thanks for looking!

Best,

Jose

[​IMG]

2. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Beautiful image!

Are you suggesting by your heading that you shot this handheld?

3. Thanks John! Not at all I shot from a tripod, albeit with the ball head completely loose so the lens could flop any which way. I think VR works best that way. The tripod just took a bit of the vertical weight off.

Thanks again!

Jose

4. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    Great action shot Jose. Has a really dynamic feel to it. You're switch to the 200-400 VR seems to be working out pretty well, to put it mildly!

5. I have to agree with you there Jose as I have several old Nikor F2.8 lens with out it and most of any new ones I have bought have it as do all my Canon glass. I partiually like it on my 500 as even with a 1.4TE I can take photos from a monopod. I have a Sigma 800MM HSM EX 5.6 and I need a heavy tripod to keep it steady if it is low light. That is a great photo for the speed you took it at.
    Lou

6. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Excellent photo Jose and nice demonstration. I am torn between getting this lens or the 300 2.8 vr with a couple of T.C.s

7. Excellent shot, José. VR is of great help indeed.

8. great action shot...what a beautiful and interesting bird...thanks

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent

And yes I love VR

10. bender73

bender73 Guest

that is a fantastic shot. shots like this make me want that lens!!!

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Well done shot Jose. I agree with you regarding VR. I wish that my 400 had this feature.

12. Nice job Jose. Funny, I was imagining myself trying to get an image like that the other day. Needless to say, I've not posted! LOL :biggrin:

13. Nice Shot Jose, at 1/250 I would have thought the whole thing would be a blurr You have "GOOD HANDS"