GPS advice sought

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rich Gibson, Jun 24, 2007.

1. I'm anticipating buying a Garmin Nuvi 660 GPS receiver and wonder if any of you have a resommended vendor. Prices vary by as much as $100 and I want to buy from a reputable source.

Thanks, Rich

2. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Guest

I got my Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx from gpsonsale.com

They had the lowest price (at the time, haven't checked since), are an authorized dealer, and everything was smooth!

3. I personally would go with a handheld which is great for navigating cities while walking, can be used on trails, etc. Some cars in cities are being broken into for windshield mounted auto GPS systems - this was my reason for not getting this type.

I have the Garmin Etrex Legend CX which only cost about $190C. It alerts you to turns coming up, can navigate off and on roads, marine, etc. With a mini SD card, I carry all the roadmaps for all of North America, and topos for all of Canada. Just a thought for an alternative....

4. Rich, that is the model I am looking at as well. I will be really interested to talk to you after you purchase yours. As I rememember you can get one from Costco and for sure from Amazon.

5. Just got the Garmin Nuvi 660 to replace the Garmin c550 that was stolen a couple of weeks ago when someone did a smash-and-grab while my car was parked in a hotel parking lot.... I like the Nuvi much better, actually! It is smaller, yet has a larger screen for greater visibility, and has a few more features than the c550. I also bought a portable friction mount for my dashboard so that I won't need to use the window suction mount and yet will have ease in setting up/removing the device.

My first GPS, the c550, I bought at Tweeter, but this time around, knowing much more about GPS systems than I had earlier, I felt comfortable enough ordering from Amazon for a nice price. Also got the friction mount there as well.....

Rich, if you want to see and play with this, I'd be happy to come over and we can take a test drive with it in your car so that you'll have a better idea of how it all works.... :smile:

6. Rich

I have the Garmin Mapsource US Topo version 3.02. New in box. If you're interested in buying this (pretty cheap) send me a PM.

Regards
    JohnG

7. dspeed

dspeed

Dec 17, 2006
    Carlsbad, NM
    I purchased my iTREK unit (bluetooth to work w my laptop) from Sempsons a year ago. I would buy from them again. Good price; good service.

Dave

8. Rich, I got my Garmin 7200 unit from Costco. They had the cheapest price at the time, easily $100+ cheaper than anyone else I saw. When I use it during trips, it sits on the center console of my Honda Pilot. Similar to Sandi's cautionary note about theft, I recall some states banning anything mounted to the windshield since it obstructs the driver's view. Something to keep in mind.

Good luck.

-Eugene

9. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2007
  10. I appreciate your information and tip. I like the Garmin 670 because it comes with both US and European maps. The 660 is cheaper by about $150 but you have to but the European maps for about $250 more.

When we drive overseas we carry nothing in our pockets and leave nothing in the car we drive. Our carry bags are dingy old floppy ones and we never let them from our grasps.

Thanks, Rich