GPS Tagging

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SRA, May 17, 2007.

1. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Any other GPS taggers out there. I have invested in both the di-GPS and the redhen GPS systems for my D2x. I have traveled with them both and love to share with friends and family the web site plots and slideshows.

Below is a screen capture of how my photos show up in smugmug/Google Earth. I have also put some on Google Earth. Makes me feel like I'm published. While the reality is that my images will never be that good. :tongue:

Anyway, please share any of your experiences with GPS tagging. I find it adds much to my photographic hobby.

[​IMG]

2. Scott,

I just got started using the N2 di-GPS mini. Finding it interesting, even gives me altitude. Tell us more about putting images on Google Earth? What limits do they have, etc.? And how do you get them to coordinate with Google Earth on your own computer? How do you let your friends/relatives know you have some posted on Google Earth?

Thanks in advance!

3. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Larry,

I use a program from Google Earth called Panoramio to post my images so that I may see them on my personal Google Earth. Google Earth, from my understanding, will choose images from time to time to make them public to everyone. For example, a couple of my images show up for Heidelberg, Germany. As, it appears, I am the only one dull enough to haul a pro level camera and mini tripod around with the tourists. Back to subject... the images will not stay there forever, but it is pretty cool while they do.

To publish them as a slide show to family and friends, I simply send them my Smugmug address to the slide show, like this and they can click 'play' and watch a chronological slideshow of my trip.

It's great as it gives a real perspective of what and where you really are. I believe this to be one of the first steps in geocaching. I believe real-time GPS satellite imaging will someday be the norm.

Would love to know what you think of the slideshow.

Thanks for asking and I hope this helps.

4. The slideshow is very nice. Looks like you had a great trip.

Panoramio appears to be an option for me. I host my online pics at .mac and as far as I know at this time they do not offer anything similar to SnugmugMaps. Spent some time at Panoramio and not entirely sure I understand what it is they do. Is it simply hosting the photos for use by Google Earth? Or can one view their own photos some way?

5. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Larry,

It appears to me that it is a only a venue for Google Earth hosting. I admit, it seems rudimentary at best. It serves a small niche for now. At least it is free.

The main reason I went with Smugmug was the geocaching with Google Earth. It's a good clean site and I think as long as I'm out and about I will continue to use it. I too have a .mac account but have not used it for photo posting yet. Thanks for looking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.