GPS with Nikon Z6:

Hi
Not sure if anyone can help, I am considering the purchase of a Nikon Z6, and I have one issue that I am unsure of regarding GPS, I know that Nikon does not have this feature in the Z6, neither does it have the feature in my D3 which is my present most used camera, however I have a GP1 Unit that fits the hot shoe and with this I am able to get GPS co-ordinates for my images. So the question is will the GP1 Unit work with the Nikon Z6? I look forward to your replies, regards
Mike

Thank you for your comments re the GP1 and GP1A, my concern of course is where is the ten pin terminal on the Nikon Z6 that I presently use to connect my GP1 to my D3, not having seen a Z6 only in pictures on a screen I am unsure where this terminal lurks, if it is a feature of the Z6.

I was able to buy an inexpensive replacement cable for my Z6 for my remote shutter release. My D850 uses a round Nikon 10 pin; the Z uses a rectangular Nikon DC-2. The other end of both are the same and plug into the unit. I'd guess you can do the same for the GPS units.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have now found the original box that my GP1 came in, and lo and behold in the bottom is a CA90 cable, having always used the 10 pin adapter on my D3 I never gave it a thought until the CA90 cable was mentioned in the thread from bpdougd, and now I have it to hand I feel more confident in the compatibility of the Z6 with my GP1, it is an important aspect of my outdoor work as much of it takes me into remote battlefield areas and having the co-ordinates with my images allows me to pinpoint on trench maps exactly where I took the photographs. I am quite surprised that Nikon have not explored the possibility of including GPS in their cameras, though as I am a few models behind with my trusty old D3, it may be that later pro Nikons do have this facility. Can I take the opportunity to thank everyone who responded to my inquiry, I am most grateful to you all for taking the time to offer advice, although I am not a regular poster, really more of a forum lurker, I do enjoy reading the posts, and consider this forum to be very well run, and also to have an abundance of very knowledgeable and helpful members, thank you all again.
Mike

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom