Critique Grade School Football

I attended a grade school football game on Sunday. I was surprised by the high quality of play. Players in these photographs range from 6th through 8th grade.

p3607960900-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p3607960960-5.jpg

p3607960924-5.jpg

p3607960896-5.jpg

p3607960926-5.jpg

p3607960930-5.jpg

p3607960903-5.jpg

p3607960898-5.jpg

p3607960929-5.jpg

p3607960959-5.jpg

p3607960902-5.jpg

I suspect that the future of youth football (and football in general) is at risk. In our area, more and more kids are opting for baseball over football in the Fall. Our Fall baseball program is bigger than it has been in over a decade, while many of the football programs are dying. There is much discussion in the state of Illinois of banning tackle football for players under 13 years old. Some of the local high school no longer field a football team. During the game that I photographed above, a 13 year old boy was carried off the field with a broken leg.

That being said, photographing (and watching) football is a lot of fun. And, many of these kids love the sport. I hope that the game can somehow be saved by innovations that will make it a safer game for kids to play.

Glenn

Excellent photos, Glenn. I bet some parents would love to see those.

I played football at that age. The helmets we had then were pretty poor...just one bar in front of the mouth. And we never threw a pass.

I played football at that age. The helmets we had then were pretty poor...just one bar in front of the mouth. And we never threw a pass.
Thanks Jim...I was surprised by the quality of play. There were some reasonably long pass completions...and some made field goals.

There was also a lot of hard hitting. Players seem to get stronger and faster every year.

Glenn

Great action shots. Names on the back, we have well funded teams here and don’t even have names on the back.

One of the high school teachers told me that football is having a hard time getting enough kids.
Some of the parents, being more aware of head injuries, are not allowing their kids to play football.

Though boys lacrosse is almost as physical as football.

Some of the helmets have what looks like a clear plexi face shield inside the bars.
I guess that is to block the fingers on a face grab.
I should go ask the AD or coach about the plexi in the helmet.

Passing also depends on the coach and QB.
Last year we hardly passed, this year the QB has a better arm and we have more passing.

Latest threads

Top Bottom