Critique Grade School Football...

So, I was fortunate to make it out to a second youth football game this season. Here are some images from yesterday's game:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5- This grade school kid was booming kicks...could likely make 35 yard field goals.

7- This 7th grader made this incredible catch!

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Good shots. Not sure the ref (umpire?) would like his one though!
Nice catch on the catch too, shame he didn't turn around for you :)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Excellent set! Love your use of shallow DOF to separate subject from the rest of the field. Great exposure control, also.

Good shots. Not sure the ref (umpire?) would like his one though!
Nice catch on the catch too, shame he didn't turn around for you :)
Thanks...the only good thing is that the ref will probably never see the image!

It seems like I am often on the wrong side of the field when an exciting play develops.
Great set. And a grade school kicker that could hit from 35.
Thanks Todd...I was shocked that a grade school kicker was kicking so far.
Excellent set! Love your use of shallow DOF to separate subject from the rest of the field. Great exposure control, also.
Thank you, Karen...it's a fun sport to shoot.

Glenn

It seems like I am often on the wrong side of the field when an exciting play develops.
As I tell my students, "it is a numbers game."
The MORE you shoot, the more likely you are to get "the shot."

Although you do have to pay attention to the players.
I had one of my students tell me something rather obvious, our QB is a lefty.
Out of habit I positioned myself for a rightie, without registering that the QB is not facing me when he sets up for a pass. duh. :confused:

With some teams, you will find that they tend to play to one side of the field, more than the other.
Then being on that side of the field is better.

As I tell my students, "it is a numbers game."
The MORE you shoot, the more likely you are to get "the shot."

Although you do have to pay attention to the players.
I had one of my students tell me something rather obvious, our QB is a lefty.
Out of habit I positioned myself for a rightie, without registering that the QB is not facing me when he sets up for a pass. duh. :confused:

With some teams, you will find that they tend to play to one side of the field, more than the other.
Then being on that side of the field is better.
All of that makes sense. My problem is that I was positioned in the one end zone because the light was so much better from that direction...but then most of the action was taking place at the other end of the field.

Other times, I would hustle to the other side of the field...and then the ball would be turned over so that the action suddenly shifted to the side I had just left!

Fortunately, I was doing this just for personal enjoyment...

Glenn

All of that makes sense. My problem is that I was positioned in the one end zone because the light was so much better from that direction...but then most of the action was taking place at the other end of the field.

Other times, I would hustle to the other side of the field...and then the ball would be turned over so that the action suddenly shifted to the side I had just left!

Fortunately, I was doing this just for personal enjoyment...

Glenn
Yup happens. Afternoon sun, low in the sky, YUK.
Shooting towards the sun, the players are severely backlit, and the glare off the turf is bad. Plus it is just plain hard to look towards the sun. So I am stuck shooting from one side of the field, with the sun at my back, until the sun drops below the hills. Then I move to the other side of the field.

What I hate is when the quarter ends, and the play is on the 5 yard line, and I'm beyond the end line.
Then it is a LONG 100+ yard hike, to the other end of the field, before the kids get there and start. Half the time, the play begins before I get into position.

When you get to soccer and lacrosse, it is worse.
The action can move the length of the field in a minute. There is no moving with the line, as in football. I just pick my position and just do my best with the action that comes within range of me. I do shoot both offense and defense sides of the field, to get different kids and action.

What was your "keeper" percentage for the shoot?. Other than the referee, which only required one photo :D
My keeper rate was probably higher than it should have been...because I should have done more of the 9 fps bursts that my D850 is capable of. I only did a few bursts.

I ended up posting 65 shots or so out of 350 exposures during the game. Next time, I'll shoot a lot more frames--even if I still end up with 65 pictures at the end of the day.

Glenn

My keeper rate was probably higher than it should have been...because I should have done more of the 9 fps bursts that my D850 is capable of. I only did a few bursts.

I ended up posting 65 shots or so out of 350 exposures during the game. Next time, I'll shoot a lot more frames--even if I still end up with 65 pictures at the end of the day.

Glenn
I keep telling my students the old Hollywood line.

No one sees what is on the cutting room floor.​
IOW, the shots that you culled out. So shoot a LOT.​
When you shoot a burst, sometime you find a gem.
Like a shot a fraction before or after the shot that you originally wanted, that turns out better than the shot you originally wanted.

Depends on who you are shooting for, your keeper rate may be high or low.
If I shoot for myself, I have a selectively LOW keeper rate. Being picky about what I shoot and keep.
But if I shoot for the team, then I "try" to shoot and keep shots of most of the kids. Even if I don't particularly like some of those shots, the parents will.

The problem in football, is that it is VERY easy to "follow the ball."
Then you forget the kids in the line, and they get no pictures.
Lately, I have been making an effort to pay more attention to the line, in order to get their pictures.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom