Graduated ND for nikon 17-55 2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Perreault, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Perreault

Perreault

Nov 24, 2006
    Hello!

I am new to landscape photography and am planning a trip to Grand Canyon and Utah. Can anybody recommend a good Graduated ND system to use with the Nikon 17-55 2.8.

Thanks!

Yves

2. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Yes.

Preferably for wide angle Cokin P holder.

The best graduated ND filters are at www.singh-ray.com These are called the Galon Rowell filters. They are BEAUTIFUL filters. I own a Coken and 2 Rowell's, and there's no comparison.

Alternately, you coudl get a Lee system, filters are a bit more, but less vignetting issues possibly. Though the wide angle Cokin holder does help with the filter holder issues at corners at 17 wide or wider.

Any questions, let me know.

3. johncarol

johncarol

Jan 31, 2006
    SW Florida
    Ditto, Cokin wide angle 'P' holder and Singh-ray GND, 3 stop soft, works well with my 10-20

4. Other than the filters themselves, what components are needed to get started with Cokin P system for wide angle (assuming use with 17-55 and/or 10-20, 12-24)? WA Filter holder and 77mm adapter ring? Links to B&H site would be helpful. TIA

5. I use Lee filters, I wind up hand holding 50 percent of the time. The larger filters keep the fingers out of the shot :)  plus with the Lee holder, it takes a CP at the same time which is a critical filter for landscape.

6. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Well, the standard holder is only 10 bucks, so it's not like you can't afford 2. In fact, I have 4 or 5, I actually got one for each of the 3 adapter ring sizes I have, so I mount the ring and then change filters by size, I can also then use multiple filters at once on different cameras.

I use the sprocket style polarizer, and you can slip it on the inside track, then have a standard square size drop down filter over it. I "Think" this will work on the wide angle adapter.

honest, I didn't know it existed until I saw one used here, and I snapped it up. (wide angle holder)

I have found the wide angle holder a bit more difficult to deal with, maybe that's just me. :) 

My 2 polarizers are sprocket style which fit the P holder, then you just rotate the entire p holder to vary the polarizer. The one issue with this is using graduated ND filters (square style), you could no longer rotate adapter then, so it would take more carefully aligning filter, sliding polarizer in place, then using GND filter.

Lee may be a little better, but the filters are more expensive.

I am not sure you could use the Cokin with a 10mm, even a 12mm is a push. Some vignetting can occur.

Try this link, ask questions if need be. Look on the left for the items to click on, holder, adapters, filters, brands.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&shs=cokin+p&ci=0

Doug

7. johncarol

johncarol

Jan 31, 2006
    SW Florida
    Yes, it does clip the corners just a bit at full 10 mm, by 12/13 it seems fine. I can post a shot at 10 if anyone is interested.

8. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    A lot of times you can get by at the corners with reproducing sky for example at corners in photoshop, and cropping botton a bit (planned), I've done this when vignetting was a issue with the larger size holders...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.