Graduated ND's and Lens Shades

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by davewolfs, Jun 2, 2007.

1. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    Hello all,

I am sure that for many of you using Graduated ND's as part of your landscape photography is a common task (for those who prefer this method to digital blending).

That said, I am curious to know what you use to combat internal lens flare since it is impossible to use a standard lens hood when using square style filters. Do most of you simply hold a hat up or dark slide, or some of you use hoods sold by manufacturers such as Lee.

I am contemplating purchasing a hood from Lee, but they are expensive so I am wondering if this is a worthwhile investment or an unnecessary cost.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Dave

2. kilm53

kilm53 Guest

I got the Lee Starter Kit and dont use a lens hood as it wont fit when I put the Lee Filter on the lens, Havent had any lens flare that I can notice yet ..but theres still time:Crunk:

I knew someone who bought the 2 filter lens hood and he reckoned it was very good once set up..

Peter

3. Mainuh

Mainuh

Feb 20, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Dave,

I use the Cokin P series for my grad ND shots. I have a sectional hood that you can add or remove sections from, but have not found I've needed to use it very much as many of the times I'm using it is just prior to sunrise or after sunset in landscapes.

4. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Good question. I came across this very issue when I was hiking in Teton Park last week. I would love some good advice.

5. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    I tend to think that a lens shade is something that people use less often then they should. A lot of people consider flare to be visible, but sometimes it is not. You may notice that sometimes when placing your hand to block the light on your lens, your contrast will increase as your lens darkens. This also increases your saturation. I believe this is referred to as internal lens flare.

I don't a shade is as critical for B&W shots, but for color I believe it is fairly important.

Unfortunately any decent hood costs a small fortune.

6. I use my hat if I need to.

7. Funny it just happened to me today. I used my hand, I was on a tripod so that was not a problem. There is that hot shoe mounted device that holds a card to block flare. It's a flexible rod with an aligator clip on the end to hold the card. I never thought it much more than a gimick but today I could have used it.

EDIT:
    Say I found that thing with a little google effort. Pretty cheesy but I bet it works.
    fboutside.

8. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    people laughed at my little umbrella, so I am not going to mention it here... lol.

9. Hey real men use pink umbrellas................ right???:confused:

10. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    haha Matt, nope, not pink.

I picked my umbrella up on a pre-Christmas sale with free shipping from Adorama, was like 15 or 20 bucks. It's really sort of neat, has a mount for a tri-pod or such, but it works to just hold over lens, makes a nice shade for both lens edge and your viewfinder area. I don't use it to much, but it stays in my car ready if I need it. It's about 12-15" wide, think about one of those umbrella hats is about the same size.