Grand Canyon Information please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mike mac, Mar 3, 2005.

1. The last week of March I will be flying to Phoenix AZ and will have about three days to check out the grand canyon and surrounding areas, Any one with any information for things to see or do on the south rim of the canyon would be appreciated.

2. One thing you want to do is hit Mather Point at sunrise one day and walk towards the El Tovar Lodge and beyond, following the rim. The scenics will be spectacular. Another morning, hit the El Tovar at sunrise and shoot Lookout Studio and the canyon from that perspective. The canyon is very neat in the mid-to-late afternoon as well, esp. if a storm is running up the canyon. An hour and a half after sunrise, the light gets harsh and the canyon colors wash out until mid-to-late afternoon. When the light gets harsh, try going to Hopi House and some of the other interesting places in/around the El Tovar. Also, taking a hike around the rim from the El Tovar to Hopi Point (or further) is pretty neat. There is a shuttle if you want to get back without using shoe leather.

Ron

3. Helicopter ride

An helicopter ride, while a bit expensive, is a memorable thing to do, over Grand Canyon, even if the pilots don't dip below the rims any longer...

Depending on the wheather and if you manage to deal with the reflection/glare on the window, you may get some striking images that way. Negotiate with the pilot where you'll be seating (with a camera), because they tend to assign seats by weight, to balance the weight evenly, and if you end up in the middle seat, it could be more difficult... When I took this ride, I wasn't into photography, yet so I have no picture of the Grand Canyon! :oops: I guess that gives me a reason to go back, some day, huh?

4. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Wow, it's great to see you here!

5. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Re: Helicopter ride

Hmm... So you'll need two photographers, on on each edge otherwise the poo photo guy with all his gear's always gonna end up in the middle even he/she weighs less than the other passengers.

6. Rom
    thanks for the useful information, I really do appreciate it this is a family event so photography will take a back seat, except I know I can go enjoy the sunrises by myself since the kids are not morning people.

7. Re: Helicopter ride

Phillepe
    thansk fro the tip only problem is flying and me do not mix in fact I have to self nedicate to fly on an airplane!

8. Re: Helicopter ride

When you look over the edge of the Grand Canyon you will feel like you are flying.

9. By the time you get back from your morning excursion, they ought to be ready for breakfast. They'll ask "Dad, why are you smiling so much?". You'll give them a knowing grin and say something philosophically sophisticated, and they'll shake their heads and whisper to each other:

"Dad is such a geek!"

You'll have a great time :^)

Ron

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Ron,

I don't recall giving you permission to use that picture of me as your avatar.... :D :D

Too cute.... :wink:

Frank

11. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Mike,
    One other thing to consider, distances don't look like much on a map, but Phoenix to Grand Canyon is about a 6 hour drive. The village is located in the best viewing area, funny how things like that happen. The best images seem to be the early morning and late afternoon. You might want to spend a few hours in the Phoenix area as the wildflowers are starting to pop and all the rain they had this year should make for a good show. East of Phoenix, Lost Dutchman SP, South, Picacho Peak SP, west, South Mountain park. In Phoenix, definately spend 1/2 day at the Phoenix Botanical Gardens, the entire family will enjoy it, and the photo ops are too many to mention!!!!!