Grand Canyon Sunrise

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Mike Z, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    I visited the Grand Canyon last weekend. Although it is awesome in person, it is very difficult to photograph. The highlights of the day are sunrise and sunset. This is a shot I took at sunrise from Grandview Point which is one of the less visited areas. I think it shows my impression of what I saw. I used my D2h with my Sigma 10-20 at 14mm.

©Mike Zelmar

2. Such a beautiful shot, I love the sunlight on the cliffs...

3. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Great shot of the canyon's aspects.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I've been to the Canyon about eight times and I have never really liked any of the shots that I have taken there. I agree with you Mike when you say that it is a very difficult place to photograph. The highlights in your image are quite pleasing, it does well to depict the grandeur of this wonderful national park. I shot an image over the edge of the Canyon behind the El Tovar Hotel of a few mountain goats standing on a ledge, it is probably my favorite image of the Canyon.

5. absolutely gorgeous, this one should be framed LARGE!

6. Gorgeous shot....great work :smile:

7. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    You should be happy with this shot. Very beautiful. I've never been to the Grand Canyon. What time of year is best to go and which area is the best to visit?

8. Nice shot, Mike! I especially like the sunlight on the rock face and the hint of blue in the sky! Very nice!!

9. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Well done. I think you are right, the Canyon is a tough place to shoot. There are so many great images made that you get lulled into a "if I'm there it will be great" false sense of hope. As with all of nature, being there is just the start, you have to be there at the right time. When is that? Could be anytime. The more time you spend at a location, the better you will get to know it, the better the odds that you will be there at that right time. Add to that, the technical skill to properly capture the scene in front of you and you have quite a challenge.

10. Mike, I like the way you captured the emerging light both in the foreground and distance. This must have been an awesome sight!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

11. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Hi Mike,

I'm not sure what you mean by it being difficult to photograph, but I do remember when I came back from my one trip there (1968 before super crowds and air pollution) I told everybody that it is impossible to capture the impression it creates in one picture. Or even a collection of pictures. It is just too overwhelming.

We were there on a clear day with great picture clouds. My feeling was that I could set up in one spot for the day, trip the shutter every 30 seconds, and all the pictures would be different because of the cloud shadows playing on the walls.

For anyone who can be there for a few days I would suggest that you just use one focal length each day. You might be surprised at how this "restriction" helps you visualize.

By the way I really like your picture here, and think that without the rather humble tree on the right together with the ridge that follows from it, it might be just a nice sunset.

12. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Thanks to all who commented on my photo and for your kind words. I've made a 13 x 19 print which really does justice to the image.

Mike

13. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    MAGICAL !

regards

RFC

14. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Robert, Thank you.

Mike

15. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    In credible shot, love the lattitude and saturation.