Grand Canyon

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by SteveK, May 3, 2007.

1. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    OK, so my wife signed on for a trip dedicated to artists for a 300 mile river trip down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. I figured I should go along for the ride. Without a water-proof housing, I found I couldn't keep a camera out while on the river for risk of soaking it. But we had mornings and evenings free on land (artists painted during this time; I broke out a camera and played). Overall, I wasn't too pleased with my photos, but there were a few I liked.
    [​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well this is surely a beauty Steve:>))))

Gotta get a P&S for those occassions:) ))

3. The colors, lighting and reflections are gorgeous in this shot. Your exposure for such a broad dynamic range of light was spot on. And I really like how you incorporated the shoreline in the foreground for depth.

Great capture!!!

4. JamesMor

JamesMor

Jun 28, 2005
    New York
    I agree, Steve. Very nicely done. It is a beautiful composition.

James

5. krispee

krispee

Apr 10, 2007
    UK
    yes, very nice, not sure why you don`t like it....beautiful colours....

kris

6. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    nice shot Steve. It offers the eyes a lot to see.

7. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    I do like this particular image. Many of the shots I took in the canyon had too much dynamic range for the sensor; there isn't enough detail in shadow areas for my liking.

It was a fun trip! I really enjoyed getting hit by water in all the rapids! If there is a next time, I'll take an underwater housing.

8. Steve,

Where did you meter in this scene? Your photo is absolutely serene!

9. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Gretchen, I metered for the brightest area, and bracketed the shot. In post processing, I had to bring out the shadow detail somewhat to make it appear as I saw it. I tried shooting this scene with the sky showing in the top, but it was too bright for my liking. I was first attracted to the mud ripples, and the reflections in the water there. I have a series of shots of just the mud, then the mud and reflection in the river. I finally worked the shot to include the brighter cliffs in the background while still shooting mostly the areas in shadow and the reflection in the river. I don't generally work on landscapes; I prefer to work mostly on critters. My approach to landscapes often comes from looking at the details first, then finding a composition to include those details.

10. I like the mystery and intrigue of this shot and the way it brings the viewer into the scene.

Great job, Steve.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

11. Steve, I hear you about canyons and dynamic range. I still like it. Sounds like a fun trip.

12. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Sounds like a wonderful trip. I love this photo. Looks like a glorious place to spend a morning.

13. Steve,

Thank you for your explanation, you are always a fountain of wealth and I appreciate your time. :smile:

14. Steve, you've done a beautiful job with this image.

Louie

15. Love that reflection!

16. eswinston

eswinston

Mar 11, 2006
    MA
    Love it! Very painterly...

17. Steve, I can't imagine you shooting any photo that would be bad! This photo should be hung on a wall! How about mine!?:wink: :biggrin:

18. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Well, in fact it is now hanging on the wall of our summer cabin, which is where I am now. My printer is down in Homer, or else I'd make a print for you, too. I won't be back there until at least mid-summer.

Did I say summer? It's been snowing since I got here, with strong winds as well. The open water on the edges of the lake and pond are now frozen again, and snow covered. Ah well, that's life in the Alaska range!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.