Grand-daughter from last week

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by greyflash, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Hi all,

Wanted to share a picture of Amelia who I am lucky enough to be the grandfather for. I will be entering a national contest with this image and was interested in your opinion. Shot with a D2H, 70-200mm f2.8 VR lens and just a tad of fill flash. Processing was minimal in Capture and Photoshop CS.

2. Gordon to embed enter the url just like dpreview then highlight the url and click the img button above it puts tags in front of and behind the url too indicate it is a pictures like this.

3. Now Gordon this is awesome did you set the WB with the Exposdisk, this picture will be a serious entry into the contest, what a cutie.

4. Yes Mike . . .

I did use the Expo Disc for setting the WB on this particular image. One thing I have learned is when you move from no shade to shade you need to reset. Some of this series of shots were too blue because I had moved into the shade. This one came out just right IMHO. Thanks for your comments.

5. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Oh Gordon! This is so cute. My wife and I were just sitting here talking about our children. We have 2 wonderful boys and said wouldn't it be nice to have a little girl too. The eyes and rosey cheeks, this is a winner!

Thanks,

6. Thanks Patrick, she's a beauty no doubt about that. Now we will see what the judges think. Of course all of us think our grandchildren are the cutest :lol:

7. Hi Gordon

Definately a great photo. I might be tempted to crop a small amount from the right side.

8. Hi Rory and thanks for the comment and suggestion. I am glad to see your picture after all this time. You always wonder what people that you know in the forum actually look like. You might even inspire me to get a picture of my own. Now if I just knew a photographer to take one. :lol:

9. Hi Gordon,

She's is cute with her smiling blue eyes of innocence. It's a very nice portrait.

Thanks for sharing.

10. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    What a little cutie! nice work Gordon. it makes me smile.

11. Very sweet

Great photo. She is quite a cutie...

13. Thanks for all the fun comments, I really appreciate it. The contest that I entered with this image will be over on Feb. 27th. My daughter Sarah said of this shot "how can we not win." I of course realize how many beautiful babies and great photographers there are but at least it's fun to try.

14. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    What an adorable child, Gordon!

Like Rory said, I'd also be tempted to crop some of that empty space to the right out. In fact, if it was mine, I would make it a portrait oriented crop. And if they allow touchups, I'd also be very tempted to smooth out some of the unevenness of her rosy cheeks with the Healing Brush, not too much, just a little. Good luck with it!

15. Re: What an adorable child, Gordon!

Thanks for looking and for your comments Steve I appreciate that. Your suggestions are good ones but I was hesitant to do that since the rules specified that no professional photographs allowed. I took that to mean studio shots and overly touched up images. This one had just minor curve adjustments and then minor sharpening.

Gordon