Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Nikon Cafe Photo Clinic' started by C2020, Apr 5, 2007.

1. My son and I attended the Grand Prix of St Petersburg last Sunday. To remember the experience I'd like to turn the following picture into a 15"x5" poster and hang it on his wall. I would appreciate your analysis/edits of the shot and whether or not it would blow up well. The photo has already been processed in DxO Optics. It was shot using my D80/ 18-200mmVR from the grandstands.

DSC_0573.

Thanks,

Bob

2. The file you have shared with us is a fairly small one. If you get this printed I suggest that you use a large file image. I have made a few tweaks to this file as follows:
    1. Go to levels and move the right slider to the left until it contacts the data in your histogram. This will brighten the image some.
    2. Use the burn tool on midrange and burn in the fence in the foreground so that it is not the most prominent feature in the image.
    3. Go to the Brightness/Contrast tool and play with the the two sliders until your get a brighter image with more contrast. Be careful not to blow the highlights. As I remember I moved the contrast slider to +8 and the brightness slider to +2.
    4. Straighten up the horizon line using the fence behind the cars as your guide. There is a tutorial in the Tutuki forum on the Café if you would like to see an easy way to do this using the measure tool.
    4. Sharpen the image a little more.

Here is the tweaked image:

original.

Here is your original:

DSC_0573.

This would make a fairly decent poster; however, the fence in the foreground is not the greatest.

3. Thanks Gordon,

That's exactly what I was looking for, I'll edit the original in iPhoto for printing. Do you remember the unsharp mask numbers, I don't want to over do the edges.

Thanks Again,

Bob

4. I'm sorry but I don't use USM, instead I have a PI by Pixel Genius and I used that. I would just stay on the low side and see how it works out.

5. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Bob,

Sorry, just noticed we had some shots to look at here on the clinic area, In regards to your image, I think Gordon has done as well as I could with the processing, and I really don't have to much more to add.

What is your file size (pixel dimensions after your crop?)

a 15x5 shot would look nice on this crop, but I hope you didn't have to crop very much.

Cheers,

Wade