Grand Tetons

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Bright Angel, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

A few taken in Grand Tetons N.P. Wyoming.
    I've got to admit that I don't like any of the shots below, I've not been able to get the best out of the photos or the location.

[​IMG]
    ^ Click for larger version.
    [​IMG]

p125149363-4.

p734600839-4.

p836869517-4.

Thanks for looking and any suggestions on how to improve them.

2. Beautiful shots, what's not to like.

3. i agree with Louie
    these are very good

not sure what you didn't like about them

4. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

I think they're great.

Sometimes, we can be our own worst critcs. What don't you like about them?

5. Mike S

Mike S

Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle, WA USA
    They look great to me. My favorites are #3 and #4 but they're all nice.

Good Job!

6. I don't see the problem. Fantastic shots, IMO. Thanks for sharing them.

7. zerocool

zerocool

Jan 21, 2008
    Tracy Calif
    wow FANTASTICAL ! love the pano ... how many shots?

8. jadlh

jadlh

Mar 6, 2008
    USA, Michigan
    I like them all, but especially #3 & 1.

9. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

Thank you all.

The first two don't seem golden enough, seeing as it was sunrise.
    And the last two, just seem too harsh.
    Or maybe it's everything between the top left pixel and the bottom right pixel :wink:

The number of shots in the first picture was 6 (I think, it's not on my HDD any more).

10. johnmh

johnmh

Nov 21, 2007
    Greater NYC
    I know many of the spots well.... the color saturation seems to be a bit much IMO, esp for the Mormon Row barn shots...... the third - Schwabacher's Landing? - is great, the last - on the trail above the falls by Jenny Lake? - the rocks are a bit bright.

The Tetons always seem to be somewhat 'subdued' - often you can't even see the mountain tops because of the clouds.... really bright colors strike me as out of place there.

11. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    They Are Wonderful!

12. Sorry I don't know your experience level so maybe this is obvious to you. But do you have the original RAW files? Because I'm sure tweaking the white balance, tint and colour balance would get you the look that you are after.

Good shots btw. I like the first two best.

13. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

Thank you all.

Thank you your comments.
    I agree about the saturation, but they just looked drab without.
    Yes, the last one is taken around Inspiration Point around mid morning.
    I had to leave, so it was mid morning or nothing.

I did try adjusting the RAW in NX2, but nothing seemed right.
    So I gave up and moved on to the next image :rolleyes: 

14. I looked carefully to your beautiful pictures and perhaps what they need is just a little of Photoshop treatment.
    No. 3 looks great and I would leave it like it is. I prefer No. 1 to the second one.
    Go to Photoshop and just cut brightness a bit. Then use curves to improve tonalities but finish with selective burning-in of the foreground with a moderate brush at about 5% intensity. Just be careful as you burn-in. You should notice an improvement.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

15. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Very nice. 1 and 3 are exceptional. The barn in #2 seems a little close to the edge of your frame, to me. I hope to get back there one day.

Ken

16. I think you did very well with them all. Some clouds often will give the little extra "something" that you're looking for, but obviously that was out of your control. The shots of Mt. Moran and up at Inspiration Point are nice looks that are different from what we usually see.

It's a beautiful area and you've captured it well.

17. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

Thank you all very much for the advice and words of reassurance :smile:

18. Never ever settle! OK firstly, what time were these (especially the first two) taken? It looks to me like these were taken in that magic time where with the right filters or post processing would give you that golden look that you are after. In RAW try a white balance of around 7000k. If you use photoshop go into colour balance and try moving the sliders +10 to the red, -10 to magenta, and +10 to blue.

However it is possible that you missed that 'magic hour' and you won't be able to get the look you are after but I'm guessing that you probably can still achieve it. I played around with the 72 dpi jpg and was able to give it a little more punch so I'm sure you'll get there with the raw file.

19. devrules81

devrules81

Nov 13, 2007
    Georgia
    Love the pics.

20. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

The first two were taken between 6:15 and 6:30 am
    And I'd arrived for the third shot at about 7:00 am

The first shot was created by loading multi exposure images into PTGUI pano software.
    After the pano was created, then I started to work on the image i.e. brightness, saturation etc.

Maybe it's best to correct each image before stitching the images together, that might work for a single exposure pano.
    But for multi exposures (HDR) panos, that might be time consuming.

I'll try your advice about colour balance, when I've completed the rest of my vacation shots and I re PP the shots.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.