Grandma Rose on July 4th

We took my 85 year old mother in law to the 4th of July parade with us. A group of high school aged boys who were in the parade were handing out flowers to some of the spectators. They gave Rose a carnation. I got this picture of her with it. Used the 18-70mm lens on the D70. This was one of those candid shots that had to be taken at the spur of the moment with no set up. I liked how it turned out, although the background is a bit distracting.

Below Rose a few more from the parade with lens used listed.

Online gallery with EXIF--a work in progress--still lots more pics to process
http://www.pbase.com/terrif/july_4th_weekend_2005

45789029.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My daughter with her school float--she is on the student council (18-70)

View attachment 11579

My son-in-law and grandson (70-200 VR)

View attachment 11580

My neighbor -- a Shriner's clown (70-200VR)

View attachment 11581

A patriotic moment (70-200) VR

View attachment 11582

Excellent Terri,

both lenses did well for you.

Rose looks wonderful.

The clown, gotta love that 70-200... :>))

Great series, Terri. I enjoy looking at "Hometown America-Type" photography. Sometimes, not being artistic while just shooting what you see ends up being an artistic delight capturing people relaxed within their comfort zone. Granny is wonderful!!!

Gale said:
Excellent Terri,

both lenses did well for you.

Rose looks wonderful.

The clown, gotta love that 70-200... :>))

Thanks Gale,
I think I will be happy with the lenses I now own for a while. That 70-200 really is great. I appreciate you looking at these.

eng45ine said:
Great series, Terri. I enjoy looking at "Hometown America-Type" photography. Sometimes, not being artistic while just shooting what you see ends up being an artistic delight capturing people relaxed within their comfort zone. Granny is wonderful!!!

Hi Frank,
My town is definitely "hometown America". It is small with about 50,000 people. I'm glad you like this style of shooting. It's all I know how to do. I imagine I may become more artistic as I learn more. I've only been involved with more advanced photography for about a year. I feel I have lots of catching up to do!!!

Terri,

Very nice! You've got great clarity in these images, from both lenses, so you can't "just" credit the 70-200VR (although I agree that the clown is "special", as is your son-in-law and grandson): the photographer must have something to do with it. ;-) I too like that hometown feel to these and that grandma picture is a definite keeper: what a nice moment and smile you captured! 8) :lol:

Thank you Mike, Phillippe, Bryan and Beezle. I appreciate all your comments. It was a very fun holiday weekend for me. Our town really celebrates the 4th. It's definitely the biggest day of the year for our community.

Gilles said:
Terri, how do you like your new lens, the clown picture is really very good (color, sharpness and contrast)

Even though it is very heavy, the benefits far outweigh the extra weight to carry around. I love it. When you start looking at the pictures that you take with it, you sit back and say "WOW". I look forward to using it much more. I don't regret the purchase at all.

Great shots Terri. I'm amazed you got such a sharp photo of "Grandma Rose" with the D70 and the kit lens. I've never come close to that quality.

Any postprocessing secrets?

Thanks again, I enjoyed them.

greyflash said:
Very nice images Terri and the color saturation adds to the effect of the 4th. You mom looks like she is having fun.

Thanks for the comments, Gordon. I like saturated pictures so hope I don't overdo it. My mother-in-law seems very happy. She lost her husband to cancer almost 2 years ago. Since then she had to move from her large home and have 3 surgeries including having her hip replaced 2 months ago. She seems relieved to have so many difficult experiences behind her.

Pa said:
Great shots Terri. I'm amazed you got such a sharp photo of "Grandma Rose" with the D70 and the kit lens. I've never come close to that quality.

Any postprocessing secrets?

Thanks again, I enjoyed them.

Really not much postprocessing. I have had quite good luck with the kit lens. I actually like it very much.

Very nice pictures Terri. I have also had good luck with the kit lens.

Just one suggestion ...

Maybe you could make a second version of Grandma Rose with moderate use of the blur tool to soften the wrinkles some. I have one of my mother-in-law when she was 92 which I thought was great with all those sharp wrinkles - like something from Dorothea Lange - but she really appreciated the version with the slight face-lift.

I know this is a personal thing, so please accept my apology if she really loves it "like it is"

John

Latest threads

Top Bottom