Grandson Max, and a question.

I stopped by my son's house in the Pocono's on Memorial Day on a return trip from Ohio. Took the usual photos, including several head-to-feet pics typical of family gathering. My grandson Max had a wonderful expression on several, but a very awkward pose...so cropping became the solution. I think the final "head and sholder" turned out pretty well, although the shot at ISO400 combined with a pretty severe crop contributes a bit of noise:

large.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My main concern is the bit of handlebar intruding at the left top, which I really couldn't crop out and get a balanced photo. I'm a novice at Photoshop...would this be hard to remove in favor of some ersatz evergreen, and is it worth doing on a photo this grainy?

Ales -

Thanks so much for the work you've done on Max. Yes, you may certainly post your version, and I thank you for it. When you do so, please explain what you have done so that I may learn.

I'm sorry for the delayed response. I have been having computer problems and posted a response earlier, but I quess it did not get transmitted.

Harry

Glad I could be of help, Harry. And don't be sorry, no bosses or deadlines here. :smile:

Here is what I have done:
I was using Photoshop and Neat Image (I noticed you are using it too). Neat Image cleared it up pretty much with my D80_ISO400 settings. I used "Filter low frequency splotches" filter settins and turned up High and Low Noise levels to about 30%. Saved the file. In Photoshop I used Clone Stamp Tool to replace the handle od the left side. Selected some of the green stuff underneath with Alt key and mouse press and then clicked on the area which I wanted to be replaced. Used smaller brush near hair.

Then comes the learning part for me. As I am new to this forum, I was browsing around and found this excellent tutorial "Beautiful Skin by Czechman". Check it out here. Thanks, Czechman! I decided to try it on your image. Followed it to the letter and after that applied some Smart sharpen 60%, 0.6. I've got what you see. I concentrated on skin and cloning but you might take care of his clothes also.

Hope it doesn't looks overdone as that would have ruined the whole idea. Best of luck with your original image and if you decide to touch it up, do post it later, please.

Rework_1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Ales. Now that I see it on-site, and have read your explanation, I am even more happy with what you did. Obviously there is a lot about Neat Image that I still have to learn...I have some pics of a Tanglewood Jazz Concert that can use that low-frequency filtering. And I will assimilate the "perfect skin" post, you can be sure.

I'm inclined to leave Max's shirt alone, because what appears to be noise is actually the texture of the shirt...much as I don't particularly care for it.
I'm having a bit of a problem psychologically getting heavily involved in pp...for years I have been of the crop in the lense wherever possible, get it right, leave it alone school. But more and more I can see where a little pp makes a desireable picture into a really fine picture, and without in any way falsifying the "truth" of the pic.

I won't turn my attention to this pic right away as I have a rather full plate right now, but I will attempt to duplicate what you've done and explore even further. Thanks again for your effort and for the learning experience.

BTW I did notice the similarilty between your son and Max. Not just the hair, but the "fairness of features" in general.

Latest threads

Top Bottom